Chapter 4: I'm the culprit

I STARTED TO WALK AWAY and go back to the office

I STARTED TO WALK AWAY and go back to the office. My phone suddenly rings. It was a call from Lazarus. I answer his call and place the phone on my right ear.

"Nabugbog ka ba ni Sic diyan?" He mocked, trying to hold his laugh. I rolled my eyes. Lazarus is making fun of me, again.

"Ako ang bubugbog sa iyo kapag nakabalik na ako sa opisina." I heard a laugh at the other line. I heard a sudden beep on my phone. I check it and I saw a message from Curran.

From: Curran
Please be strong, Attorney. I'm always rooting for you.

I smiled when I saw a message from him. I know he knew what happened at the court a while ago.

I return the phone to my ear and started to speak again. "Hello—" I was cut off when someone bumps on my left shoulder. I give a fast look to check who the person is. I can't identify if it was a boy or a girl. The person was wearing a blue hoodie patterned with denim pants.

"Hello, Attorney? Nakita ko si Lazarus kanina sa isang clinic." I was confused but my attention is on someone. "Mamaya ko na sasabihin. Pumunta ka na rito, pinapatawag ka sa opisina mo." Hindi ko pinansin ang sinabi ni Lazarus sa kabilang linya. Itinuon ko ang atensyon ko sa taong nakabangga ko.

The person was looking at a white glossy paper. I guessed it was a photo. "Sorry. Hindi kita napan—" I was about to pick the photo but the person suddenly picked it and placed it inside the pocket of his hoodie.

That person didn't speak a word at me, he fixes his hoodie and walks inside the detention room. One thing that I noticed about that person is the Rolex watch that he/she is wearing.

"Ambria? Hello?" I came to my senses and I already started to go to my car.

I replied, "Yes. I'm now heading back at Polimero's Law Firm." I ended the call and started to drive. I have this feeling that President Gilbert will be mad at me.

I'm here now at the office of President Gilbert. He is not in a good mood and he looks disappointed. "You maintain his innocence? Your job is to get him a commutation. That was enough. I can't believe that you bring a scandal in the court."

I tried to explain that the prosecutor sought a 20-year sentence. Well, President Gilbert mentioned before that I have to plead a 10-year sentence. Also, the fact that Sic has been claiming innocence the whole time urges me to dig into the case.

"I don't care about your reason. I give this to you because I believe that you can handle a minor case." There is no word that came to my mouth. "Don't worry. He pleaded guilty already, so wrap it up at the next trial."

"No. If it will happen, it makes me look—"

"Protecting the clients' interest is only ethics attorneys must stick to." President Gilbert stepped forward. "Sic Navaro is not our client. There's nothing to agonize over. Is that clear, Attorney Alvarez?"