Chapter 7: Digging-up the truth

IN NO TIME, I FOUND MYSELF inside President Gilbert's office

IN NO TIME, I FOUND MYSELF inside President Gilbert's office. I don't have any idea why he called me to come to his office.

I stood up when President Gilbert entered the office. His face is serious, with no trace of happiness at all. He suddenly speaks, "You always have a great job on my firm."

It made me think why on earth did he is saying it right now. I agreed with what he mentioned. He walks around, not giving me a look.

"How is your defendant?" I was confused for a moment. Si Curran ba ang tinutukoy niya? He manages to laugh and then look at me. "I'm pertaining to your first defendant."

I replied, "He is still unconscious."

He took a deep breath before opening his mouth again, "I'm here to tell you that you are suspended."

My eyes went bigger. What the heck did he say? "I'm suspended? I can't accept it. Is it because of Sic? Why am I responsible for that guy? I'm not the one who pushed him causing him to fall from the roof! Why do I need to be penalized?" I asked, anger in my voice.

He looks at me with tension in his eyes. "It's a public opinion, not mine. You know how powerful the law of public sentiment is, the law of public conviction." He smirked, "Your favorite law, Attorney."

"What?" I can't believe it!

Our conversation interrupted by a call on his phone. I can't do anything but watch President Gilbert. He nodded and ends the call.

He faces me again and speaks, "You are not only suspended for six months. The condition of the judge that you punched before is worse than I heard it was. The board decided that a suspension wasn't enough."

This time, my heartbeat became fast. I got petrified for a moment, I can't talk. No words came to my mouth. When I heard the next words he uttered, it seems like cold water was splashed at my body. "The board wants disbarment."

Disbarment is the removal of a lawyer from a bar association or the practice of law, thus revoking his or her law license or admission to practice law. Disbarment is usually a punishment for unethical or criminal conduct but may also be imposed for incompetence or incapacity.

"Based on Rule 138, Section 27, A member of the bar may be removed or suspended from his office as an attorney by the Supreme Court for any deceit, malpractice, or other gross misconduct in such office, grossly immoral conduct, or by reason of his conviction of a crime involving moral turpitude, or for any violation of the oath which he is required to take before the admission to practice, or for a willful disobedience of any lawful order of a superior court, or for corruptly or willful appearing as an attorney for a party to a case without authority so to do."

I clenched my fist. I caught myself raging in both pain and anger.

"You would lose your license. That was the best option. In fact, they want you to put in jail for assaulting a judge." He tapped my left shoulder. "Consider it as a long vacation, Attorney."