Chapter 19: Benedict's Testimony

The little mermaid, who sacrificed herselffor the happiness of the prince whom she loved,turned into sea foam and disappeared

for the happiness of the prince whom she loved,
turned into sea foam and disappeared.
- The ending of "The little mermaid"

IMINULAT ko ang aking mga mata. I looked around. Everything went fast, the last thing that I remember is that I was in the courtroom. I'm at the witness stand. I heard the cheering of the people because they celebrated the final verdict. It breaks my heart when I recall that Curran was proven guilty.

Why I am doing here in my room? Am I dreaming? Is Curran still innocent?

"Maayos na ba ang pakiramdam mo? Bigla kang nahimatay kanina." Lazarus put a hot soup in my table. "We can still open the case. You need to be strong, Attorney."

I sighed. I'm not dreaming.

"You need to watch this. The CCTV at the office of Mr. Herbert." Bewildered, I grab the phone of Lazarus and click the play button.

In the video, Mr. Herbert was talking at the phone. Smiling from ear to ear while holding a gift. Ahkeem kicked the door and madly came into the office that made Mr. Herbert startled. Ahkeem questioned why did Mr. Herbert do a horrible thing to Mira. I gasped when Ahkeem throw away the nameplate of Mr. Herbert. I shook my head. Mr. Herbert gets a black, long stick and point it to the chest of Ahkeem.

The next thing that happened made me shivered. He throws a large vase and the video turns black.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Tumama siguro sa CCTV kaya naputol na," Lazarus explained.

"We need to go at the office, right now." Nagulat naman si Lazarus sa sinabi ko. As long as the investigators are not coming at Mr. Herbert's office, we must see first what really happened.

Ahkeem, I know you. You will not do this.

We reach the building and there is no noise, only our footsteps. It was a good idea to wear gloves to not able to trace our fingerprints. Lazarus carefully opened the door. Mr. Herbert's offices was too dark. The switch of the lights is not working properly.

When Lazarus open his flashlight and point it to the table of Mr. Herbert, cold water was like splashed all over our bodies.

An unexpected scene made us shivered.

Mr. Herbert was suspended by a rope around his neck. His body was hanged at his office.

With bravery in my eyes, I came forward at his table. I found a letter with a black pen beside it. The letter was type-written and it clearly says that he can't continue what he is doing at the school. He even highlighted that he committed wrongdoings for his personal purpose, and all of that is being discovered now. He was extremely frightened. The investigation is getting too aggressive for him to bear.