Chapter 12: Unfolded

PINAGMASDAN naming dalawa ang ganda ng paligid

PINAGMASDAN naming dalawa ang ganda ng paligid. The orphanage is full of happy kids, joyful sisters, and waving plants.

I and Curran were sitting on one of the benches. I silently laugh when I saw how grubby we are. As a kid, we usually don't care about how we look. The thing that we need is to enjoy.

I was about to speak when I notice one kid that stumble on the ground. Curran suddenly stood up which made me look at him. I return my look at the kid when I heard a lot of noises and laugh.

"Ang lampa!" a boy says, "Kaya ka kinakawawa kasi lampa ka."

The kid suddenly cries. Curran was about to run when a sister came at the kid. I look at Curran and he was disappointed. I can't read what on his mind.

I called his name. He looks at me and gives an encouraging smile. I started to speak, "If I become a lawyer, I will defend that kid. I will let those bad kids go to prison."

He chuckled. "That's your dream, to become a lawyer?"

I nodded at him. He stared at the kid and gave an innocent look. "I don't have any dream job."

It made me startled. Every kid will choose any dream job. They usually proudly say that someday they will be a teacher, surgeon, policeman, flight attendant, engineer, or chef, but this kid beside me doesn't have any dream job.

"Sira ka ba? Paano ka yayaman?"

He looks at me, shy. "Gusto ko lang naman na makitang masaya ang lahat. Peace and love," he reasoned out, casually.

I opened my eyes.

"Are you okay?" a voice said and I recognized it—it's Lazarus.

I understandingly nodded.

There, I recognized that I'm here in the detention room. I look at the person who's sleeping on the opposite side of the table. The person who's a dream is to see everyone's happiness. His face is facing me. He doesn't look problematic, he still wears the face of a man that wants peace and love. He is still the person that has a good heart since we were young. Despite being a good man, he is here, inside the detention room, accepting the allegations on him.

"Ambria, bibili lang ako ng pagkain. Anong gusto mo?"

"Ikaw na lang ang bahalang pumili," I replied, looking still at Curran. He nodded at me and leave the detention room.

I looked back at Curran and got to reminisce all of our memories together. Despite the tragic past that I have, I'm still grateful that I have him ever since we were young. He was always there to save me, to rescue me, and to help me. Indeed, he is a hero in my life.

I get back on my senses when I noticed a tear came from Curran's eyes. Iminulat niya ang kaniyang mata dahilan para matigilan ako. He gets up and wiped his tears.