38. Sister of the bride

I gathered my bags right after the last exam and procedded to my parent's place, two weeks before the wedding. Vivek would join me five days before the big day. He managed to get leaves for only a little over a week.

Being a bride is a tough job, but being the bride's sister is the toughest one. While it is the bride whose life is going to change after the wedding, it is her sister who has to make sure that this transition is smooth.

Behen Ki Shaadi! Fun, Fun, and a lot of fun. The most important people at any wedding are always the bride and the groom. However, along with the bride and the groom comes a whole huge gang of siblings, who exist only to create more excitement. No wedding ceremony is ever complete without them.

Shilpa is not only my first friend but also my best critic and a person I always bank on so planning everything for her wedding is something that is bound to fall on me, and I'd want nothing but the best for her.

One thing that a person should realize as a sister of the bride is that your responsibilities don't start on the day of the wedding, but wayyy before it... right from the time the question was popped! Yes, we would've probably been the first one to get the big news, and that's when our duties start! After all, it's no longer the parents who plan the entire wedding and the kids just go with the flow.

Weddings are all about planning and yes, a lot of planning. Me being the head of my sister's marriage squad was exciting. I felt that this was the best part, as I made all the decisions - the boss alright! but of course according to my sister's taste. I coordinated with vendors, family members, and friends. At the same time, I felt that this stage was a difficult one as I had to deal with many people and this included a lot of running around too.

Nani, Mama, Mami, and Shreya Di along with her son reached our place three days after my arrival.

Fueled by tea, we headed over to various beautiful bridal boutiques and other stores. It was fun and exciting while we shopped and had a great quality time together as I did not get any chance to stay here for so long after my marriage because of the job and home responsibilities.

We wished Shreya di to join us for a while in shopping but Vivaan, her three-month-old munchkin would become cranky whenever he steps out of the house. So, she dropped the idea of joining us for shopping. At the end of the day, I and Shilpa would sit down with the shopping bags and sort out the needed stuff under the supervision of Shreya di.

I got to spend with my loved ones. It made us feel closer and connected as we knew after this we won't be able to meet all together like this. We tried our best to make it worthwhile and memorable.

Watching my sister moving out was the biggest challenge, but ignoring the sadness and filling the air with excitement was what I had to concentrate on.

As the big day approached, Vivek too joined the chaos of the wedding planning. Everyone was quite occupied with their assigned duties. One evening after the tiring shopping I settled my aching body on the couch in the living room with a whining Shilpa who was confused about the choice of bangles she would wear for the pooja the next day.

Baba and Vivek were on the phone call with the caterers and the lighting operator, respectively.

"I cannot choose..." Shilpa left a tired sigh.

"I will help you. Give it to me." Shreya Di strolled out of the bedroom after putting her son to sleep. Nani was babysitting him, and Mami was packing the gifts that are to be given to the groom's side family.

Amma stepped into the living room with a bag, and Mama followed her behind. Both of them are back from the jewellery store. Shilpa took the bag from Amma to inspect the jewellery Amma bought, which we ordered a few weeks ago.