34. My plant lady

Author's Pov:

A busy Monday morning, the crowd has a life of its own. The people in vibrant clothes shone in the morning light and all the people moved like enchanting shoals of fish. The roads were busy like any morning, but the hustle and bustle brought life to the city.

Meter by meter, the traffic crawled. Many impatient drivers drove onto the side of the road and proceeded along with it. It was not very courteous of them, for they kicked up a lot of dust as their vehicles traveled along the unpaved roadside.

"Vivek, my vehicle broke down." Ananya groaned into her phone. She stood with her vehicle under a giant tree.

"Where are you now?" Vivek spoke through the chaos of the city traffic in the backdrop.

"10 minutes away from school," she uttered loudly for him to hear her through the traffic.

"Shall I pick you up and drop you at the school?" he questioned.

"No. Don't bother. I will take an auto. But I don't know what to do with the vehicle." she asserted.

"Park the vehicle in the nearest available parking space and go to school. I will tell Raju, the mechanic in our colony, to collect your vehicle and get it repaired. Give him your vehicle keys when he reaches your school." Vivek instructed.

"Okay. Call me after informing him." Ananya responded, looking around for a parking space.

She parked her vehicle in the parking space of the nearby temple and informed Vivek about the same.

                          ***

"I have to remind the office people to supply dustless chalks to all the classes. I have been developing dust allergy lately." Keerthi, an English teacher, stated getting up from her seat.

In the capacious staffroom,  Ananya, Keerthi, and Radha, a senior Hindi teacher were seated on at their respective desks.

"Swetha has already informed them," Ananya uttered, leaning back in her seat.

"That's great. Then I will leave for my class," Keerthi told, picking up her handkerchief and a textbook.

Nodding her head, Ananya relaxed in her seat. "Don't you have a class to take?" Radha, the senior Hindi teacher, spoke. Her look with red sindoor and red lipstick immediately reminds you of a typical mother-in-law of Indian soap operas.

"No, ma'am. This is my only free period of the day. I have 8th C next." Ananya discoursed.

"Ohh, I have 8th C now," Radha spoke, cleaning her spectacles with the end of her pallu.

The senior Hindi teacher left the room, leaving behind a whole empty staff room for Ananya. Not even a few moments passed when Ananya leaned onto her desk and laid her head down as her phone went off.

"Don't miss me too much, Mr. Husband," Ananya tittered into the phone as soon as she picked up Vivek's call.

"What if I say I am not," Vivek played along.

"Well, Ma is still not aware of you breaking a plate from her favourite antic dinner set she passed onto us. I am now contemplating on letting that cat out of the bag," she warned playfully blowing her nails.

"Anu, my wife, I have been missing you terribly since the time I stepped out of the house." He curtailed his act of playing along.

To his reply, Ananya dissolved into a puddle of laughter and one can see her stomach shaking as she fought a new gale of giggles.