6.Back to our nest

"Get up, Vivek. You are already late," I tried to wake him up.

Tying a towel over my wet hair, I opened the curtains, letting the sunlight brighten up the room.

Slowly and reluctantly, he uncovered his face. He blinked, closed his eyes, and blinked his eyes again. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind him. He sits up, drags his feet off the bed, and rub his knuckles onto his eyes. He stretched his arms above his head and yawn.

"Vivek, turn off the geyser after you are done bathing." I hurriedly walked out, hearing the cooker whistle.

Turning off the stove, I took the pressure cooker off the stove. Putting the ingredients for upma into a pan, I stirred the contents. Taking out the lunch box I put rice in one box, roti in the second box, Dal and fry in other boxes, and packed the boxes in his lunch bag.

Serving upma on to a plate, I called out Vivek for breakfast. Hearing no response, I went into the bedroom.

"Vivek, come and have breakfast," I said, removing the towel from my hair.

"Ananya, my phone isn't charged." he sighed irritated.

"But you charged it before we went to sleep, right?" I questioned.

"I think I forgot to turn on the switch and I am getting late now," he looks distressed.

"My phone is fully charged I will put your SIM card in my phone, you can use my phone for today and go have breakfast." I took my phone from the table to insert his SIM card.

"I don't have time for breakfast Ananya, I should be early to the office today." he hurriedly walked into the drawing-room wearing his watch.

"No, no, no skipping breakfast. Come on, it hardly takes 10minutes," I ran behind him.

He sat on the sofa wearing his socks while I fed him upma. He gulped the breakfast quickly and rushed to the shoe rack to wear his shoes. He chastely kissed my forehead and walked hurried towards the front door with his office bag and phone. Closing the main door I turned around and found his lunch bag on the dining table I took it and ran out calling him, handing him the lunch bag I sent him off standing at the gate.

I walked back into the house and went into the bedroom to make the bed and noticed that Vivek hasn't turned off the geyser and light in the bathroom.

Great! And I am the one to be blamed for the increasing electricity bill. Sigh.

After clearing the mess in the kitchen and doing the dishes, I ate my breakfast and got ready to go to the bank. We haven't got the debit card of our joint account yet I will just find out the reason.

Vivek and I opened a joint account six months ago i.e. two months after our wedding we both decided to pool our savings into this account although I am not working currently I have good savings from my previous job. I worked as a school teacher I used to teach maths for high school students. After shifting to this city as a newly wedded, I took a break from my work for a few months until I settle down with my married life and this new place.

Walking out dressed up, I found my landlord entering through the gate pushing the pram. She is around sixty years old and lives upstairs of this two-storied building with her husband and an eighteen months old granddaughter, her daughter and son-in-law who lives in Canada left their baby with her for a few months until they get settled down in a new country.

"Hi Aarthi aunty, where did you both go?" I asked, looking at her and kneeling beside the pram.

I cooed the baby and kissed her cheeks.

"I took her out to the park, Ananya," she said, looking at us.

I talked to her for a few more minutes before bidding them goodbye.

Walking to the main road, I hired an auto. I got familiarised with the routes to all the necessary places I need to know in this city, Vivek has made me familiarise with the place so I don't get to depend on him every time.

After a month of our wedding, Vivek's parents visited us for a brief period. Vivek was supposed to pick them up from the railway station, but he was assigned with some urgent work at the office and had requested me to pick up his parents. I was new to this place and did not know where the railway station was, Vivek has told me the way to the railway station but I didn't find any cabs or autos that day, confused I thought to call Vivek but I dropped the idea immediately as I knew he will be busy with office work so I took a bus to the railway station the bus routes were confusing and I had to get down somewhere in the middle of the city from a wrong bus, finally I reached the station one hour late. I waited for them for two more hours and reached home like a prune to see them already in Aarthi aunty's home papa said that they waited for me in the station for 30 minutes and called me but couldn't reach me finally they hired an auto and came home, Aarthi aunty saw them waiting at the front door and invited them to her home upstairs. Due to that incident, Vivek showed me the city and the routes to all the necessary places.

I reached the bank when there were few customers. That's a big relief. I enquired about the debit card and I was told that there has been some technical issues and they would get the debit card delivered within the next two days.

While returning home I went to a grocery store though Vivek said that he would take me to for grocery shopping on Saturday evening but I ran out of few necessary things. Shopping the groceries that can be use until Saturday I walked out of the store in search of an auto.

Holding a heavy grocery bag in one hand, I opened the lock with the other hand. While keeping the bag on the table I hit my big toe to it closing my eyes in pain I sat down on the chair. I hurt my toe pretty badly.

First the ankle sprain and now this. Keep it up, Ananya.

Later, I got up wincing and put the clothes in the washing machine. After eating the lunch I took out washed clothes from the washing machine to sun dry them. I managed the entire day around the house limping.

________

"Oh my god!! How are you this careless??" Vivek asked me, taking the towel from my hand.

"I hit my toe when I was putting the heavy grocery bag on the table," pouting sadly I sat on the edge of the bed.

"I already told you I would take you out for grocery shopping this weekend, right? Then why did you go?" He asked, wiping his face with the towel.

"I bought groceries while returning from the bank, moreover there is nothing left to cook for this week," I said passing his teacup.

"Oh! What is the debit card status?" he asked, taking the cup from me.

I told him everything that they informed me while he sat on the bed listening to me and sipping his tea.

"How did the inspection go?" I asked when he handed me the cup.

"It went pretty well. You know what?" he asked with a wide grin that brightened up his face.

"What?" I asked smiling, watching his face.

"I may get a promotion," he said in a sing a song tone.

"That's great," I said, hugging him.

"Yeah," he hugged me back, smiling.

"I will make dinner," I said, getting up.

                          ********

How did you like the update?

I request you guys to comment as much as you can so that I will know how good is my story and writing and please do vote if you find this book worth reading as I said earlier only your votes makes my book visible to many readers.

Love,
Misha❤️