33. Joined at the hip!

Ananya's pov:

Vivek stood near the portico washing and cleaning our vehicles after his morning tea with utmost attention, as if someone would give him an award for a spic and span vehicle. Aarthi aunty was at the gate picking the vegetables from a vegetable vendor by his cart and simultaneously bargaining. Anil uncle was as usual in his favourite place of the home aka the garden watering the perennials. I sat with a magazine on our recently purchased lounger overlooking the main door. Well this is my morning show on most of my Sundays.

"The tomatoes are fresh. Do you want to buy some too?" Aarthi aunty peeped into my house on her way upstairs.

"No, aunty we bought the vegetables yesterday itself. I am self-sufficient for now" I glimpsed from the magazine in my hand.

"Acha," she stepped into the living room, leaving the vegetable bag at my doorstep.

I got up from the lounger, walked her to the sofa, and sat down with her. Once the chit chat has begun, the voices babbled happily like a mountain river. Aarthi aunty can speak about any topic under the sun. She has intriguing insights on various topics after all she has seen life in its rawest form.

Vivek walked into the house 15 minutes later wiping his forehead. He proceeded to our bedroom to freshen up while silently pointing at the wall clock indicating that he will be out in 10 minutes.

"Chalo, I will leave. You have breakfast to make." Aarthi aunty seized the hint like a detective, which Vivek subtly dropped only at me. She left my home collecting the vegetable bag on the way.

                              ***

I sat at the table dicing tomatoes to make Pav Baji for breakfast, talking to Baba on the speakerphone. Vivek strolled out of the bedroom in his casuals to go out to a movie with his friends. Checking his wallet, he sat across me.

"Baba, I will talk with her once her results are out" I expressed.

Well, one of our relative's daughters is giving her tenth boards in a few months meanwhile the entire clan of relatives is reciting her the advantages of taking up science next year. And now Baba has joined in her list of 'well-wishers' and asked me to advise the poor girl of how 'brilliant' is science stream.

"She has not yet given her exams, Baba." I continued.

"I know, Anu. But the vision and clarity are important," he affirmed.

After a keen glance at me and then at the incompletely chopped tomatoes in front of me, Vivek moved in his chair impatiently tapping his foot all the while.

I raised an eyebrow at that while he mouthed 'how long?' indicating the chopping board next to my phone on the table.

"Baba, I will call you again in a while. Bye for now" I disconnected his call.

"Can't a father talk to his daughter peacefully?" I drawled dramatically.

"Those days were gone where you used to ask 'Anu, are you missing your parents?'." I stated in a dramatic tone and wiped by imaginary tears, "Now all you ask is how long will I talk to my father?"

"Yaar Anu, I don't have time for this tamasha I am running late." He whined.

Shaking his head in displeasure and giving up on my insane dramebaaz skills, he moved ahead to take a water bottle.

"Then who asked you to book the tickets for the very first show of the day?" I countered.

"No other show was available. We are at least fortunate enough to get our hands on this show's tickets," he stated.