Part 6: The Storm

Since November- when shit hit the fan and Tom said it was about time I was done with him- I haven't been able to lose the heavy weight that's sitting on my chest.

Sure, I wasn't the nicest.

I was angry at Rupert and Tom for not simply taking the photos down- but I guess it got the better of me: my anger.

Tonight, when I saw him at the party- I wanted to just hug him and say I was sorry for the fight- because we've always just talked it out and made up after the stupid little jabs and comments.

Yet he seemed completely gone. Lost and meander. Un-Tom like. He was laughing naturally.

Normally his laugh fills the whole room. It makes people want to join in and laugh with him- but all our friends weren't laughing with him. His short fake quips left everyone feeling heavy. During the photo, I didn't want to anger him by standing next to him- but at the same time- that's my place. Always beside him and I thought maybe it brought him back- he even tickled my side on purpose to throw me off- I thought we were good.

Until he just left without a single word to anyone. Going down the steps, I find Tom walking to his Jeep. He had two drinks tonight, which isn't enough to get Tom leg less- but it still worries me.

Approaching his Jeep slowly, I watch him rip his jacket off and unbutton more of the buttons on his dress shirt. Running his hands over his face and through his hair- I know something's wrong.

"Quack?" I quietly say as I stand on the outside of his Jeep- windows down and soft top off- he just looks up at me and I notice the pain in his eyes.

"Jesus! Emma! What are you doing?" He angrily says as he pushes a hand through his hair.

"I came to see what you were doing. You just left."

"Yeah- well...wasn't expected to be there anyway- so they won't miss me if I go." He bites quietly and just how he said it hurts me deep.

"Why would you say that?"

"Oh for fuck sakes Emma! Act like anyone in that house would've cared if I didn't show up tonight. I don't know why I did." His raised voice takes me by surprise and his eyes seem dull. "Just go back to the party."

"What's wrong with you? You're not yourself tonight."

"Maybe this is exactly who I am- Emma- and it's only took me 19 years to figure it out."

"Stop talking like that! Tom get out of the Jeep- you're not driving home in this state." I open his car door and pull at his arm. "I need you to get out and talk to me."

"Stop it, Emma." I tug at his hand and try to force him from the car myself. "STOP IT!"

He blares loudly and up the driveway every one of our friends come down to witness this explosion. I let go of his hand and I can't breathe. Mouth gaping and tears forming, I can't believe the anger flowing from him.

"CAN'T YOU EVER JUST STOP!? STOP TUGGING ME ALONG YOUR WONDERFUL LIFE ACTING LIKE YOU WANT ME IN IT! BECAUSE YOU DON'T EM AND TIME AFTER TIME YOU HAVE MADE THAT ABUNDANTLY CLEAR! SO DO YOURSELF THE FAVOR AND LET ME GO!!" Lights all across the neighborhood light up and bring Bonnie's neighbors out to their yards. My tears escape my eyes and before I or anyone else can say anything- top pushes me from the way of his door, slams it loudly and leaves in a matter of seconds. From down the street, Evanna and Oliver- along with Bonnie come to see if I'm alright, but they know I'm not.

"Come inside, Em...come on..." Bonnie leads me back to the house.

"Sorry everyone...um...just go back to your knitting." Oliver says and ushers us back inside. Leo, who comes down the rest of the drive pulls me into his arms and kisses me neck.