Stand in captain (Virat-Jinks)

The mood in Team India's hotel was an all time low after having been bowled out for 36 in the second innings of the Adelaide Test.

Jaddu had tried to cheer them up by a drawling, "We didn't get all out, you know...who knows how much the last wicket partnership would have yielded?"

Pretty much the whole team glared daggers at him, but no one more so than Jinks, who looked positively uncanny.

"Sorry," said Jaddu hastily, and mourned with the team in silence.

**********

"What an atmosphere back there in India," sighed Virat, slipping into Jinks' room late that night, because neither of them could sleep. "I heard some people are trying to commit suicide out of shame."

Jinks looked away, not in a mood for jokes.

"And you going away is only going to make everything worse," said Jinks.

"It's not going to make anything worse, Jinks."

"Yeah?" said Jinks, shortly.

Virat choked back his guilt—because yes, he was feeling guilty, of course he was, how could he not when he was having to leave his team reeling in crisis?—and then steeled his heart.

"Don't be an infernal idiot for god's sake, Jinks, you sound like Gavaskar and Sanju Manju and the like."

Jinks looked up, too surprised to even glare at Virat.

"Like who?"

"Gavaskar?" said Virat slowly, as if Jinks was being thick. "Sanju Manju? That idiot who has it in for Jaddu and Harry and pretty much half our team?"

"I sound like them?" said Jinks dangerously.

Of course Virat knew he should've backtracked and said he'd been joking, but as if that would accomplish anything.

"Yes, you do," he told Jinks. "And you know it, too. They're counting us out 'cause I'm leaving, and I can't believe you're doing the same thing."

"Shut up, Vi. Don't act like you don't know how important you are to the side," said Jinks in a tone he never used on anyone, least of all Virat.

"I'm not acting I'm not important to the side," said Virat indignantly. "I'm just saying that we can't be counted out just because—"

"It's not just," said Jinks furiously. "It can't be called JUST BECAUSE VIRAT KOHLI IS LEAVING. It's because the team's captain and best batsman and half the strength is leaving!"

What was wrong with him? thought Virat, getting seriously worried now.

"So what do you want me to do?" he said with heavy sarcasm. "Cancel my ticket? Stay back 'til the end of the series?"

"I don't want you to do anything, which by the way, would make no difference to you. Just—just—refrain from switching on the TV if possible."

"But Jinksy, why are you--"

"Don't call me by that stupid name," said Jinks with finality. "Get out of here and..."

Jinks caught the look on Virat's face and clenched his fist and hastened to override his last words.

"...go back to your room and sleep. You've got a flight to catch tomorrow, haven't you?"

"Yeah, but obviously I'm not going back with you in this weird mood, Jinks," said Virat, quite logically.

"It's not my mood that is weird, Virat. I wish you'd understand that," said Jinks wearily, lying down on his back and closing his eyes.

He looked completely defeated to Virat, and somehow, in spite of everything, alone. He had given up.