Family (Rohit-Hardik)

Rohit was extremely excited. Tomorrow was MI vs RCB in Mumbai, and the RCB team was due to arrive in the city in the afternoon.

Yuzi and Virat still hadn't seen Samaira even once, since only a few months after she was born, IPL had begun.

"She'll say 'Dad' when I tell her to, won't she?" Rohit asked Ritika anxiously.

"Like how does that matter?" asked Ritika without raising her eyes from the newspaper she was reading.

"I told them she can say 'Dad'," said Rohit. "If she doesn't, they'll tease me to death--Yuzi and Virat and Hardik would, anyhow. Jassi wouldn't."

Ritika rolled her eyes. "Better make her practice a bit."

Rohit lifted Samaira today into his lap, and said coaxingly, "Sam, say 'Dad'..."

"Dad," said Sam promptly.

"Good girl," said Rohit, reassured. "Let's go to sleep now, darling. Ritsy, wake us up when they come."

Ritika sent a glance at Rohit, who was settling down to sleep again, cuddling Sam, and she did not comment.

______________

Rohit was woken up by a very familiar voice shouting, "She's so perfect!"

He felt Samaira being snatched out of his arms, and opened his eyes to see Virat and Yuzi, complete with suitcases, swooning over Sam. Ritika was laughing as she watched them.

Rohit jumped up quickly.

"Go and get changed quickly, you two. I've called Jass and Harry too," he said, shoving Virat and Yuzi out of the room.

They were protesting, but did go to freshen up, and put down their luggage in Rohit's house's spare rooms, which were always kept arranged for them.

_____________

Jassi arrived soon after, and found Virat, Yuzi and Rohit crowded around Samaira.

"Hi, Jassi!" cried Virat cheerfully. "Where's Hardik?"

"He says he has to go somewhere today," said Jassi, joining them.

"Hope it's not a new girl," sighed Virat.

Jassi and Yuzi laughed, but there was something like worry on Rohit's face which they did not notice.

Rohit couldn't help remembering another incident few days back.

*******

Hardik had placed himself firmly in Rohit's room for the evening and they were amiably squabbling over a cool jacket of Rohit's which Hardik wanted to borrow for the party that day, and Rohit wanted to wear himself.

"You can wear it anytime, Rohit, so can't you lend it to me when I'm with you?" whined Hardik.

"Flaw in your theory," said Rohit. "IPL or international, you're always with me."

Hardik could hardly deny that, so he took to emotional blackmail.

"I'm your little brother, aren't I, Ro? Don't you love me?"

"You don't even call me bhaiya," retorted Rohit. "So it's a bit difficult to consider you my little brother."

So Hardik was whining and Rohit was trying to defend himself, when Ritika, who had taken Sam for a walk in the garden, came in.