In Harry's absence (Jassi-Rahul)

I know Jassi is Gujarati, but I'm assuming he grew up in Mohali for this story.

This was so different from his usual performances in all the series he had been playing for the last 3 years.

He had been looking forward to this comeback so much. The way the team had welcomed him back, the way Virat bhaiya seemed almost relieved that Jassi was in the team when the 3rd T20 went down to the super over, the way the nation had been openly praying for his comeback...

And he had let them all down.

Weird, the way his yorkers wouldn't work anymore.

Though they had won the series 5-0, the mood in the team was far from celebratory.

Virat bhaiya had been sitting beside the physio the whole evening as he was assessing Rohit bhaiya's injury, and now he was in full blown panic mode because the physio had declared that Rohit bhaiya was ruled out of the entire ODI and Test series.

"This is really, really bad," Virat bhaiya kept muttering all through dinner.

"Stop hyperventilating," said Rohit bhaiya, but he was subdued, too.

"Who d'you think will be called as replacement?" asked Rahul, seeming strangely fidgety.

"I guess Mayank," said Jaddu.

"Oh," said Rahul, now seeming even more uncomfortable.

Jassi wondered why he was acting like this. Sure, Rohit bhaiya's injury was worrying. But Rahul had been in out-of-the-world form recently. Not just in batting, keeping, and even captaincy in today's match. He had won them the whole series. Surely he deserved to be a little happy?

Which brought Jassi's thoughts back to his own terrible form, letting down his team, his Virat bhaiya. He wanted to talk to someone about this badly, but Virat and Rohit bhaiya had enough on their minds--and Bhuvi bhaiya wasn't here, neither was Hardik.

"We're going for a walk in the park next door," said Jaddu.

"No we're not," said Rohit and Virat together.

"You two," said Jaddu. "Are definitely coming with me."

"Yes, I agree, Jaddu bhaiya," said Yuzi, because he hated the gloomy atmosphere as well.

So Rohit and Virat agreed, and eventually most of the team decided to join them.

"Jassi?" asked Rohit.

"Too tired," said Jassi, not entirely untruthfully, and immediately tried to brighten his face a little before Rohit bhaiya, who had an uncanny ability to read his thoughts, could begin to investigate.

After the team had left, Jassi went up to his room and attempted to sleep, but at that moment, he just couldn't sleep.

The door opened and Rahul's voice came. "Jassi? You awake?"