The nickname (Virat-Jinks)

A/N: You gave me three choices, Soumya-- Rohirat, Virat-Jinks and Bhuvirat. I chose this one so that it can be a combined OS for both your and Jinks' birthday. Which reminds me, I'm so sorry I couldn't write anything for my second favourite player's birthday, but this writer's block is an absolutely rotten thing. 

It was Jinks' 31st birthday, falling during quarantine. They'd wished him on video call and all...the usual stuff. Jinks' mild reactions at all their howling wishes had made Virat miss him very much all of a sudden. If he could have one wish granted at that moment, he'd fly to Jinks house with a bright orange frosted cake and attack him with it, just to listen to his exasperated protests.

But the corona had taken care of that wish.

****

When Ajinkya Rahane came into the Indian Test team in late 2013, he introduced himself to the team as 'Ajinkya'.

Virat, who had had issues with big, confusing names for a long time, frowned.

"Ajinkya..." he muttered. "Ajinkya..."

Rahane looked plainly confused.

Mahi bhai threw Virat a warning look. Virat subsided, making up his mind to think of a nickname later.

In the first practice session of the season, Virat was batting in the nets with Bhuvi bowling. Rahane was waiting beside Virat for his turn.

Rahane was quiet and withdrawn, maybe a little awkward in a group of people who already knew each other for months and were really close. Bhuvi, under Rahane's influence, went quiet as well, and Virat was starting to feel uncomfortable about the silence, so he suggested taking a break after an hour.

Bhuvi joined Virat on the ground. Virat indicated Rahane to sit down too, and he complied with a small smile.

"Bhuvi," whined Virat to break the silence. "Bhuvi!"

"Yes?" asked Bhuvi mildly.

"Your name is weird, so we gave you a super nickname," said Virat, broaching the topic. 

"Yes...so?"

"Ajinkya's name is just as weird, so he deserve a nickname too, doesn't he?"

"I have a nickname," said Rahane hastily. "My parents call me Ajju."

Virat snorted in disgust. "Ajju is a very bad name."

Bhuvi looked horrified at his reaction, but he had not yet grown up to be the adult figure he was in 2020, so he had said tentatively, "It's not that bad, Virat."

"Ajinkya...Ajinkya...Ajinkya...."

Bhuvi had experience in this field, of course, so he sent a sympathetic glance at Rahane.

Rahane was looking at Virat curiously.

"Jinks. Jinks," said Virat. "JINKS!"

Jinks drew back, alarmed at his sudden overexcitement.

"Jinks?" repeated Bhuvi.

"Isn't it cool?" Virat asked Bhuvi.

"No, it's not," said Jinks firmly, because Bhuvi could reply. "It's terrible. Please call me Ajju."

Virat looked utterly disappointed to see his wonderful invention being greeted so.

"I won't call you Ajju," said Virat. "Jinks is so much better!"

"Virat," began Jinks.

"Why are you three sitting here and bunking practice?" demanded Rohit, coming up.