Provocation (Virat-Jassi)

"What the hell do they think they're doing?" yelled Virat in the balcony. "IF THEY DON'T SHUT UP RIGHT NOW—"

"They can't hear you," said Jinks drily.

"Maybe you can jump," suggested Jaddu. "Land into the stands, then streak into the field."

"WILL YOU STOP JOKING! THEY'RE PROVOCATING JASSI!"

"Sit down," said Jinks, catching his arm. "Sledging isn't against the law, and Jassi can handle it."

"Jassi can handle it?" said Virat. "Has anyone succeeded in getting Jassi worked up on the field?"

"He can still handle it," said Jinks, though he, too, was privately wondering what extreme thing Buttler might've said that Jassi was fuming so much. "Sit down, Vi."

The Indians in the crowd started a steady chant of support: "Bumrah! Bumrah! Bumrah!"

The umpire had succeeded in separating Jassi and Buttler, and Wood was taking his run-up.

Jassi swung the bat wildly—but it streaked through the covers for a four. Virat, who'd just sat down, jumped up again, glowering, to clap. Behind his ear, he could hear Jinks standing up and clapping too. Actually, the whole balcony was.

The crowd's chanting got louder.

Jassi and Shami batted on. And on. And on.

____________

The 'rousing welcome' was Rohit's idea, as much as Virat would like to pretend in the future that it was his

When Jassi and Shami returned after their unbeaten 89 runs partnership, the entire team and support staff went downstairs to receive them with a guard og honour—a perfect excuse for clapping, yelling and cheering, venting out their excitement.

"Jassi!" shouted Virat as he crossed him. "YOU ARE AWESOME."

To Jassi, obviously, that compliment stood out. For the innings break, everyone kept fussing around the two heroes, who would now have to bowl, too, but Jassi kept playing Virat bhaiya's "you are awesome" in his head.

"You were perfect, Jassi. There couldn't have been a better answer to their sledging than that," said Rohit, slapping him on the back when he had finally got Jassi to himself for a moment.

"What did they sledge you about, Jass?" added Jinks. "What got you so mad?"

"Stupid stuff," muttered Jassi.

"What sort of stupid stuff?" demanded Virat, who had also been hovering around.

Jassi avoided the question. "Forget it, Virat bhaiya."

"Ok," said Virat, beaming, giving Jassi the 16th hug of the hour. "Let's go ou and show them."

____________