Irreplaceable (Virat-Kuliya)

A/N: Ever since Virat yelled at Kuliya in the 3rd ODI, Tani and I have wanted to write parallel fics about the same incident. She already wrote hers, and mine is in some ways similar to hers (not to mention she brainstormed the plot with me as well). I have already taken permission to take her dialogue 🌚 so no one presses copyright charges on me😃

Overall 2019 hadn't been a good year for Kuldeep compared to 2017 and 18 even though he was in the top 10 wicket takers of the year in ODIs. Virat had spent a major part of the year trying to keep Kuliya's confidence up, because Kuliya was immature and severely prone to inferiority complexes.

His hattrick in the second last match of the year made Virat so happy that he stayed in a happy daze for two whole days after that, and finally it was the day of the 3rd ODI, the decider.

It was a small ground, and unfavorable for spinners. Virat got Jaddu's overs done quickly within the 37th over, but he kept Kuldeep for later, so that he could bait Pollard into a miscued lofted shot and remove him before the 45th.

Unfortunately, the plan backfired completely.

Already going expensive in the last few overs, Kuldeep conceded 3 sixes in his last, and Virat, who was steadily losing his temper at India throwing away their good position, stormed up to him and asked, "What are you doing?"

Kuldeep's eyes widened in shock at Virat bhai's unfamiliar tone.

"Have you ever learnt to use your brains at all? Do you always need someone to spoonfeed you what ball to bowl? What's the use of being an international bowler if...."

Kuldeep's chin was trembling slightly and he felt dangerously close to tears, because Virat bhai never yelled at him like this. But he would not cry in the middle of a match. He could not look at Virat bhai, and remained quiet.

If Kuldeep had been answering back, Virat might have calmed down but this silence only made him madder.

"You're impossible, Kuldeep," said Virat in disgust as he stalked back to his fielding position.

Kuldeep blinked and walked back to take his run up, trying to breathe evenly. He couldn't wait for the inning to end when he could go into the dressing room and hide from everyone.

Yuzi, watching the entire thing from the dugout, could have hit Virat bhaiya at that moment for hurting Kuldeep, and Rohit, staring at Virat ruefully, could only think, Virat was going to regret this so much later.

***

Kuldeep almost rushed off the field straight to the dressing room after WI's inning got over, not daring to meet Virat bhai's disappointed and angry gaze.

Yuzi followed him and sat beside him in the corner silently, and though Kuldeep badly wanted to be alone, he just couldn't push Yuzi away.

The others artfully stayed away from the dressing room, and Jaddu kept Virat with him in the dugout when Rohit and Rahul went out to open.