Jassi's best gift (Jassi-Ro)

Of all the gifts Jassi received on his 27th birthday, the best one arrived through his phone a couple of hours after midnight, once their hotel had settled back into silence.

"Happy birthday Boom Boom, I love you," said Sam, smiling up at him toothily.

"Love you too, Sammy," said Jassi, and didn't even feel stupid talking to a video.

Best of all, Sam was wearing the fuzzy silver frock he had bought her, and had the unburstable heart shaped balloon in her hand, which also he had bought her.

It was a clear message from Rohit bhaiya—Sammy likes your gifts best.

Jassi's smile widened as he wondered if he should call Rohit bhaiya. He decided against it, however, because he would not want to disturb Rohit bhaiya's sleep, and he had already wished him two hours back on video call, as had Bhuvi bhaiya.

It would be stupid to call him again.

***********

2 months ago, Mumbai Indians bio bubble

Jassi was currently trying his best to stop scowling, but his brows would persist in knitting together and his jaws would persist in clenching and his brain would persist in screaming at Ishan, GET AWAY FROM ROHIT BHAIYA.

It was not like Jassi wasn't fond of Ishan, because he was.

It was not like he didn't know that it was he captain's duty to cheer up a youngster who'd been injured that day in the match, either.

But Rohit bhaiya was being too attentive to him. He hadn't even told Jassi a 'well done' for his awesome performance. AND he had placed Sam in Ishan's arms in a bid to cheer him up.

"You look mad," said an annoying voice in his ear, rousing him out of his reverie. "Why do you look so mad?"

"I don't look mad at all," lied Jassi coolly.

"Hah," said Hardik scornfully. "Lying to your best friend ends you up in hell after death, did you know that, Jass?"

"I refuse to be best friends with a superstitious prat like you," shot back Jassi, standing up and attempting to leave.

Hardik's next words were drowned by Rohit bhaiya saying nearby, "Could you take Sam shopping for a bit, Ish? She's been nagging for a while now, and she won't be any bother."

Since Sam loved to go shopping, and was, in general, an angel to anyone who took her shopping, this offer was Rohit bhaiya's ultimate cheering-up tactic.

"Did you hear that?" Jassi whispered to Hardik, outraged. "We're the only ones allowed to take Sam shopping!"

Of course, Jassi instantly regretted letting the anger get the better of him, because Hardik's smirk was pure evil.

"ROHI—" began Hardik.

"I didn't say anything," Jassi growled, glaring at Hardik. "Don't you dare tell him anything!"

And then he fled before Hardik could have him caught up in some mortifying situation with Rohit bhaiya.

************

Later, Jassi was to be found lying on his back and brooding.

That clingy Ishan Kishan, he thought, always holding on to Rohit bhaiya like a leech. Was he a kid that Rohit bhaiya had to babysit him all day?

Of course he knew at the back of his mind that his own thoughts were turning distinctly clingy, but Rohit bhaiya was his elder brother, he thought defiantly. He had a right over Rohit bhaiya, surely? He and Hardik. Not anyone else.