54

Drops of rain had begun spattering the roof above them, the force nearly drowning out the sound of Lord Townshend's cane as it scraped over the carriage floor in rhythmic circles. He turned his head, sighing restlessly as he looked out over the fields, barely visible in the moonlight, his hand gripping the cane's handle in frustration. "Surely-" he faded off as if the words had died on his tongue. He looked to the opposite side of the carriage, "Surely, she must have given you... some information."

Charlotte looked back, exasperated, "If you speak of Lady Susan, Lord Townshend, I assure you she spoke not a word of... this."

The cane stopped circling. "Right..." he said, any additional words caught in his throat as he swallowed them back.

She shook her head, wanting little more than to shake the answers out of him. "Will you not take it upon yourself to inform me," she said quickly, greeted with silence once again.

"I-" he started, his expression pained, "Forgive me, Miss Heywood, but I do not know what I am authorised to reveal - not to you."

----------

"Where is she," Sidney croaked, his eyes searching the ceiling above him - Linton's wary expression the only within view. His body reeled in response, heartrate quickening as he attempted to rise, fear overtaking the pain in his side. But he was promptly flattened back against the table he still lay upon. He gritted his teeth and raised a trembling hand, catching the sleeve of Linton's coat, "For God's sake, Linton."

"She is just as stubborn as you are, you know," he said, at last, tears pricking at his eyes, "Unyielding and headstrong. Willing to dig in her heels until we consented."

"Consented to what." He gripped Linton's sleeve tighter, "Consented to what," he said, more forcefully this time, his teeth bared as he enunciated every syllable.

Linton looked sternly back at him, "To allow her to finish what you started," he detached Sidney's hand, stepping away before he could catch his sleeve again. "She is gone, Master Parker. Lord Townshend as well. Off to the Campion estate."

"Lord - Lord Townshend?" he was breathing faster, now. The pain shot up his side, pierced through him as it rose straight to his head.

A heavy hand pressed down upon his shoulder. "Stop," Linton said, "Just stop. Your reacting will only make it worse."

"How would you expect me to react, having awoken to this?"

"With a degree of trust, for a start," Linton said, irritably, "They will return momentarily with Miss Lambe and your brother, don't you worry about it."

"They-" he had started breathing heavily.

"Calm yourself, now," said Linton, "Townshend will protect her in your stead if he must."

"How did bloody Townshend come into the picture, anyway."

Linton gripped his shoulder tighter. "Have I neglected to mention that he saved our lives? Perhaps if you had taken even a moment to ask instead of fighting me at every turn, I might have explained it all to you by now," he scolded, his expression fierce, "But, I imagine even the fact that he had a hand in saving your own life is not enough to convince you that he is honourable."

Sidney glared down at his bandages, "Stepping in where I could not. Isn't that just bloody brilliant..."

"It was bloody brilliant of him, yes."

"Enough. I do not wish to hear more of it," he glowered.

"Yes, I might have predicted," Linton said, moving into action, "There will be some minutes yet to wait for their return, Master Parker, and I admit to you awakening far earlier than any of us expected. Shall we find a more suitable place for you to rest?" he asked, looking over his shoulder at a footman off in the distance, but Sidney caught his sleeve again.