32

Esther had been watching the door to the courtyard as discreetly as possible for quite some time, keeping her head angled just enough to notice any peripheral movement that would indicate a door opening, and either Charlotte or Sidney emerging from the rapidly worsening weather outside. She was not surprised to see that it was Charlotte who returned to the ballroom first. She walked quickly, with purpose - her expression grave, almost irritated, as she approached Susan. They left the ballroom together within moments.

When several more minutes passed and she saw no sign of Sidney, concern set in. This had certainly not been a reconciliation.

"Babington, dear," she said, approaching him among the group of men to her left and leaving the odious Mrs Campion to her high society friends, "I should like to take a stroll."

Babington turned, mid-laugh and it took only a glimpse of Esther for his own expression to turn.

"Ah, yes, my dear," he said, "I would love nothing more. Gentlemen, if you would excuse me."

He offered his arm to her and allowed her to steer him in the right direction. "Is it as we feared?" he asked her out of the corner of his mouth.

"It may be worse, I'm afraid," she said quietly. "I think that he is outside, and alone."

Babington sucked in a quick breath of air, preparing himself as they stepped outdoors into the courtyard.

They found him slumped against a hedgerow on the ground, a chilling rain collecting on his jacket and breeches, his ears looking alarmingly red even in the darkness, the rest of him pale, almost lifeless.

They kneeled on either side of him.

"Parker, what has happened??" Babington asked, his voice unable to mask the pity he felt for his friend.

He responded with a weepy shake of his head.

Babington looked to Esther. "Darling, could you arrange for the carriage to pull around? There must be an exit to the street nearby."

Esther nodded, "Yes, there is a west exit. He should not be seen in this state. I shall make our apologies. At the very least, Mrs Campion brought her own carriage."

Sidney tried to move at the mention of her name, but Esther gently pushed his shoulders back against the hedge. "It's alright, I will let her know you were feeling poorly and Babington is escorting you home. You have every excuse to, what with the injuries you have suffered." She looked over at Babington. "Have them bring the carriage around to the front entrance once you have collected Sidney. I will await you there."

Babington and Sidney both stared back at her. "What?" she asked, impatiently. "Go."

She stood and brushed the water droplets from her dress, making for the door as Babington attempted to collect the still limp form that was Sidney.

Not ten minutes later, Esther emerged from Mrs Milton's grand front entrance, a hand reaching from the carriage to help her in, and they were off for home.

----------

The following morning, Sidney did not emerge from the guest wing at Worthing House. Esther sent Babington to check on him and breakfasted alone, sipping her tea distractedly and wondering what must have happened the night before to result in such despondency. She had witnessed a man who was completely devoid of hope. He looked as if he had been on the verge of death when she had finally seen him in the light, and she cursed herself for waiting quite so long to check on him.

Babington emerged suddenly in the doorway, leaning in, a look of concern upon his face.

"Anything?" she asked.