38

Mary remained seated behind the large desk at Bedford Place, shuffling through her collection of letters - studying, seeking clues, anything to gather information about where Georgiana may have gone, and what her motives may have been.

"Do we wait?" Sidney asked her after they had drifted off into silent deliberation, the crackling of the fire and ticking of the clock amplified in the stillness.

"That depends," said Mary, quietly. "How likely do you think it is that she was headed in our direction?"

"Or that-" he cut off suddenly, rubbing at his eyes as if he might erase the very thought, "-she left of her own accord."

"I feel sick just thinking of it," said Mary, bringing a hand up to her forehead, "do you think that someone else might have taken her?"

"And carried her off to Scotland? We've heard nothing of Otis Molyneux for months - not since she was taken last."

"But someone else? Someone who might need the money."

"Yes, but who might she know to be capable of such-" He stilled, eyes searching back and forth as he stared ahead at the fire, and then he exhaled as if in defeat. "Mary...has Tom mentioned any sightings of Edward Denham?"

"No, of course not. He hasn't been seen since the fire."

"And since he was disowned by Lady Denham. I wouldn't have thought it some months ago, but now, after hearing more about how he treated Esther...it may be possible."

"Well, we should not rule it out, by any means," said Mary, reaching for a fresh sheet of paper, "As for his whereabouts, Lady Denham might be informed."

"Gather what information you can, but I fear that the deed will have been done."

"We must try, all the same."

"Yes. Yes, of course. It is possible he may be holding her, though I think it unlikely he would hold her for very long."

"Might we obtain the information we seek faster if I return to Sanditon and speak with Lady Denham?" Mary stopped writing, focusing her attention on Sidney.

"I fear it would not be obtained fast enough. I might find leads on Edward Denham in London that are far more current than what Lady Denham knows within hours. And as for Georgiana, it is unlikely that she would be anywhere in the vicinity of Sanditon after two days. We are likely closer in proximity to her as we are."

"Yes, of course...unless..."

"Unless what?"

"Unless we speak of the one possibility we have yet to broach - and yet it is one that has been present in my mind since I first heard the news. Sidney, she was not happy there. She is young and impulsive, had been left by all whom she had formed an attachment with. It wouldn't have taken much for her to escape to the clifftops and-"

He sank forward, elbows meeting knees in his spot before the fire, staring into the flames. "Do you really think she would?"

"I couldn't say... but I do know what it is like to be a young woman - to be faced with the world as it is. And Georgiana-" she breathed in, sharply, "I have seen how she is treated. I can only imagine what she has been made to feel."

"But she has such strength."

"Even the strongest among us have moments of powerlessness. You, of all people, should know that."

"So what, you think she jumped off a bloody cliff? Just like that?"

"There are many possibilities, Sidney. I'm merely trying to think through them."

"Good God, Mary," he said, his voice breaking. He stood and began pacing about the room, needing to move.

"I realise that it is not a thought that you wish to entertain, Sidney, but we must weigh every possibility if we are to solve this - if we are to have any hope of saving her - even the possibilities that couldn't bring her back to us."

"There must be others. Please, can we move on... I cannot dwell on this a moment longer or I will be of no use to anyone."

"Alright," she continued, calmly, "What if she decided to come to London? To help our cause?"

"Why would she have done so and not informed either of us?" He continued pacing, the edge in his voice still more present than he intended it to be.

"For fear that we would deny her the chance."

"It is possible, to be sure, but the timing is all off. She would be in London already - would have been for hours."

A familiar sound echoed down the silent corridor, meeting their ears once...twice...three times. Sidney stopped his pacing, looking wide-eyed across the room at Mary as the familiar sound met their ears a second time - faster, more insistent. He glanced over at the long-case clock in the corner of the room. It was past two o'clock in the morning, and someone was knocking on the front door of Bedford Place.