19

Charlotte sat in the library at Weston Place that afternoon, perched upon the window seat, a book left open and unread in her lap as her leg twitched nervously. She breathed slowly, attempting to calm her heart, but it was of no use. Soon, he would be here in this very room, and just like last night, she wasn't entirely certain that she was ready for it.

She turned her head toward the street once more, attempting to make him out on the sidewalks nearby. Would he walk to Weston Place? Or was his London house far enough to be in need of a carriage or horse to reach them? Even after all this time, there were so many unknowns. How can one know a person better than anyone else without really knowing them at all?

"Mr Parker, Miss." She jerked her head to the library entrance, heart leaping with abandon as Bradford stood in the doorway, turning to one side to reveal the familiar figure she had been waiting for.

"Th-thank you, Bradford," she said, standing quickly, the open book, forgotten, falling to the floor in front of her. She blushed, crouching to pick it up, but another hand had reached it before hers. She lifted her head and looked straight into the eyes of Sidney Parker. "Mr Parker," she said, shaking her head to illustrate her perceived foolishness, "thank you for your assistance."

"Pleasure," he nodded, passing the book back to her. Yes, perhaps they could be civil after all, she thought, before realising that they had both paused longer than was necessary. She swallowed nervously as she reached out to take the book from him, brushing his fingers as she did so.

They both stood quickly after that, attempting to at least feign propriety in their grand surroundings.

"Miss Heywood," he murmured in little more than a whisper. "I must admit, I did not know to expect you. I was summoned by Lady Worcester just this morning."

Brought back to the present, she turned abruptly, moving toward the chairs that Susan had set out especially for their meeting. At the very least, she could ensure that they were at a safe distance. "Please," she said, motioning to the other chair.

He moved to take the other seat, eyeing her cautiously, and yet, seemingly enthralled by such a turn of events. She had noticed from the very moment he entered the room that he appeared altered to her from the previous evening, closed off to the world much like he had been when they first met, and as he sat in the chair opposite, his almost defensive demeanour gave her pause. Perhaps she and Susan had thought wrong. Perhaps he was not, in fact, ready for what she was about to say.

"Mr Parker," she began, hesitating, "Lady Worcester has asked me to speak to you prior to your meeting today. I-I have been staying with her as a companion at her invitation, you see."

He nodded, a curious expression upon his face, and she felt encouraged to continue.

"Lady Worcester and I have had several conversations regarding certain events that occurred over the summer," she said, twisting her hands, her expression clearly discomfited.

His hand had come up to his chin, knuckles grazing his lips as he processed this. "I see. Please, do go on."

"After numerous conversations on the matter, well, we may have a plan that - should it work, that is - could relieve you of your obligations to your family."

He blinked once, then twice - his eyes searching hers, narrowing, and then his jaw jutted upward as if to illustrate his defiance at her words. "So, you have cooked up some scheme to set me free, is that it?" he asked, sounding amused, but the bitterness in his tone did not escape her detection, and it did not sit well with her.

She felt as if she had been struck. "Scheming?" she responded, anger building in her voice. "We have put our time and energy into this plan for months, and you refer to it as a 'scheme'? Tell me, Mr Parker, are you more offended that two women are attempting to come to your rescue or that they may have reached an answer while you have yet to find a way out?"