10

That afternoon, Susan and Charlotte took a carriage to Bond Street, which by Charlotte's estimation appeared to be the busiest street in all of London. The carriage progressed slowly through the hordes of traffic, creeping its way along at a pace far slower than the average person could walk, a suspicion which was repeatedly confirmed as pedestrians bustled past on the way to their next destination, walking quickly and purposefully in the afternoon sunshine.

Madame Devy's shop was located at the corner of Bond and Grafton Street in an attractive-looking columned storefront with large windows that displayed the latest fashions. Charlotte hardly knew where to step as she exited the carriage, and her confusion grew as she watched Susan's footman kindly forge a path through what she now realised was a large crowd surrounding the entrance to the shop.

"Susan..." she started, and quickly found she had no idea what to say.

Susan took Charlotte's elbow and stood by her side. "It's alright, dear, just a few admirers who must have found me out."

"Admirers?"

"Yes, dear. It happens on occasion - particularly where new fashions are involved, I have found."

Susan pulled her gently from the spot where her feet had become rooted, and Charlotte looked among the crowd of ladies in astonishment, shocked at the reception of her friend, the awed expressions, the stillness of the crowd as they passed by, and all the while, Susan smiled warmly at the group of admirers. Within moments, they had reached the entrance, and it opened as if by its own accord to allow them in, closing abruptly behind them as if it had all been a dream.

"Your Ladyship! So happy you could come!" A very elegantly dressed lady approached them, dropping a large book of fabric samples upon a table as she did so. Susan stepped forward to greet the woman, expressing her gratitude at arranging the appointment during such a busy time of day, and Charlotte observed that they were the only ladies within the shop. An exclusive appointment, indeed.

"Charlotte, I would like to introduce you to the most talented modiste in all of London, and the woman who keeps me up to date with the latest fashions. This is Madame Devy." Susan said.

Charlotte curtsied before the modiste in greeting.

"Ah, my lady, we shall have a wonderful time dressing her, shall we not?" Madame Devy looked positively inspired, clicking her tongue happily as she appraised Charlotte from every possible angle.

"Yes," said Susan, "I have been looking forward to this for some time, I must say." Charlotte noticed a glint in her eye and peered at her quizzically.

"What have you planned?" she asked.

"Oh, just a few minor surprises. You shall see, my dear." Susan steered her toward a large table in the shop, two empty seats awaiting them as Madame Devy brought out several drawings of the latest fashions for her to peruse.

"Now," said Susan, taking her seat and patting the chair next to her, "How about we get started? If you are to be my guest for the season, we have much to plan for."

"But Susan, I have brought dresses with me. Really, there is no need to plan for the entire season."

Susan waved a hand dismissively, "And yet, plan we shall, dear Charlotte. You are my special guest, and I want you to feel as such."

Charlotte hesitated, "Is this to do with our..."

"That will be an added benefit, my dear. I mainly wish to spoil you, simply because I can. Besides, I can think of no young lady more deserving."

She flushed at hearing such a degree of praise, and Lady Susan laughed in her joyous manner. "My dear, I must also take note to compliment you more often. I am sure that Madame Devy would agree that it is likely to happen to you frequently once you make an appearance at Lady Wessex's ball."

"What? Lady Wessex?" Charlotte asked, as her experience at Mrs Maudsley's rout began to emerge fresh in her mind, suddenly making her feel ill at the thought of attending another such event. This had not been a part of their early workings of a plan.

"Why, it is in less than a month. She is always a bit early for the season, and yet the London set seems to crowd her palatial home as if it were the spring. But never mind all that, I believe that we have a task at hand, and Madame Devy is a very busy woman. Shall we?"

Charlotte took her place at the table reluctantly, at first, and found that she became gradually more at ease as the afternoon of discussing the latest fashions progressed, often asking for input from Madame Devy and Susan, subtly indicating her penchant for simplicity when she sensed that they were both veering too far off course, settling upon patterns that were both adventurous for Charlotte and yet, not quite as vibrant as Lady Susan's preferences tended to be.

As they rode away in the carriage through the unceasingly busy traffic along Bond Street, mentally fatigued after an afternoon of decision-making, Charlotte had determined that this was exactly what she had been in need of all along - the opportunity to start anew.

As if knowing precisely where her thoughts lay, Susan turned to her and asked, "Do you know why I invited you to London, Charlotte?"

"Why, yes, to be your companion, and well, perhaps...in no small part to carry out the plans we discussed on the way to London?" she ended her response in a question, unsure of how to phrase that they were plotting to take control of her future.

"Mmm," she said, noncommittally, "perhaps that was a small part, but only just. Our short acquaintance has reminded me of a similar time in my own life, it is true. And yet, my dear, I must not allow my eagerness of yesterday get in the way of what I truly wish for you."

"So, you have other reasons?"

"It can take so very long for a young woman to find her place in the world, Charlotte, and often we are married off before we are even allowed to find it. So I must say, that regardless of what happens in the coming weeks as the season starts and new acquaintances are made, I wish only that you have the chance to find wherever that may be, for once you do, the world can never take that from you." She patted Charlotte's hand as if to comfort her, and she had the sense in that moment, that perhaps she could bring comfort to Susan as well.

"I must say, Susan," Charlotte began, "I am still unsure of how I came to be here at all, to be lucky enough to have your friendship."

Susan laughed, "Oh, my dear girl, I am the lucky one. Do you know how long it had been since I had the pleasure of speaking to someone so honest as you? Our first meeting at the ball was a shock to the system after years of polite conversation."

"Well, I did have a thrilling story to tell that particular evening," Charlotte laughed, "I can't promise you the same on an average day, I'm afraid."

"You are as genuine as they come, Charlotte. Never allow anyone or anything to change that." Susan patted her hand again with more energy. "Now, do tell me your thoughts on this afternoon. Are you marginally more excited about attending the first ball of the season?"

"Earlier, I would not have admitted as much, but I do believe I am, after all." Charlotte smiled. "Thank you, Susan, for everything."

"Thank you, my dear, for keeping a lonely and admittedly rather bored woman company." said Susan, "and regardless of what happens in the coming weeks, or where our plan leads, know that my sincerest wish is to allow you to jump into the next phase of your life. Wherever that might lead or whatever it might look like, you will have my support. Always."