36

Lady Worcester sat calmly through most of the final act, eyes occasionally peering at the other boxes within view, attempting to make out familiar faces - one, in particular - among the private boxes in their wing. But visible as the crowd was, bathed in the light from the stage, the one face she sought did not appear. Even so, something must be done to prevent any chance of their party being found out. That woman was nothing short of a threat.

She waited silently for the final scene to start, and as the familiar words were spoken upon the stage, Lady Susan decided to act. Rising from her chair, she moved down the row, tapping each of her guests on the shoulder, waiting longest to interrupt Charlotte's euphoria as she listened intently to the final lines - and by the time the crowd applauded the performance, Charlotte, Susan, Sidney and the Babingtons were moving hurriedly along the corridor in the direction of the grand staircase.

"I haven't a clue where Mrs Campion is seated this evening," Susan remarked, looking over her shoulder only to see Babington do the very same as they began to overhear the animated chatter of the private box occupants, about to emerge at any moment.

But instead of increasing her already breakneck pace to outrun them, Susan began to slow down until she came to a halt in the middle of the corridor, as if struck.

"Yes, yes, of course..." she murmured, "I had nearly forgotten."

"What is it?" Charlotte asked, hurriedly.

"I believe I may know of a shortcut." She turned around, glancing conspiratorially at Sidney and Charlotte, "And you two might find it a familiar sight, I daresay."

She resumed her former pace, rushing back in the direction of the private box, and after a brief exchange of bewildered glances, the group followed her. She veered off to the left, stopping in front of a very familiar sight, and stepped behind a statue. They watched as, hands resting on either side of it, she moved the very lever that Charlotte's dress had been caught upon - one embroidered slipper peeking out from her gown to do the task - and in an instant, the wall hanging parted as if of its own accord, revealing the ornate door that Sidney and Charlotte had been pressed against earlier that very evening. "The King's entrance," Charlotte whispered, not quite able to meet Sidney's eye.

"Yes," Susan said, amused, "Very impressive, is it not? Now, if I remember correctly..." She faded off as she felt for something hidden in a crevice behind the statue, then, "Ah, there it is!" she said triumphantly as she shifted a second lever. In a single motion, the ornate door opened to reveal a corridor beyond - the secret entry used by the Prince Regent, himself.

But rather than rush through the doorway, the group stared in silent wonder. "Did I just see what I think I saw," Babington whispered to Sidney.

"Most likely, yes," Sidney whispered back. "She's a bloody sorceress, Babbers, I'm convinced of it."

"What?" Susan asked, as if she had merely completed a perfunctory task and nothing more, "Do you think that they would have designed such an entrance without considering the possibility that a quick exit might be needed?"

"I'm rather beginning to wonder if there is anything you don't know, Lady Worcester," said Esther, in awe.

"She does have that effect on people," Charlotte chimed in.

"Yes, well, one advantage of many to being closely acquainted with the Prince. Come along, now, and quickly," Susan glanced back over her shoulder as she guided them through the doorway, one by one. "I won't have anyone disrupting the rest of our evening. We have much to discuss."

----------

Having safely exited Covent Garden, the party reunited at Weston Place shortly thereafter and were sent to the library upon their arrival. The group sat together before the roaring fire, glasses of Madeira and port in hand as Susan paced about the room, the cogs of her mind turning as everyone else waited, the evening's events still fresh in their minds and the anticipation growing by the second.