24

"He showed up after midnight?"

"Redmond was certain we were being burgled. He hit him rather hard, I'm afraid."

"Yes, I can see. It is still rather swollen."

"What do you think, my dear, should we call for a doctor?"

"Perhaps it wouldn't hurt. Who knows what extent his other injuries could have endured last night. Tell me, did he walk all this way?"

"From the sound of it, stumbled more like."

"Babington?" Sidney Parker groaned as he rolled over onto his back, fully clothed up to his overcoat, his hat on the floor next to the bed he was currently laying upon. "Is that you? Where the bloody hell am I?"

"Yes, Parker, it's me. You are at Worthing House. You...came of your own accord last night."

Sidney brought a hand to his forehead, pinching his septum as he closed his eyes. He moved his hand lower upon his face and felt a sharp pain near his mouth.

"You split your lip, Parker. Or rather...Redmond did."

"I was in a fight with your butler ?" He tried turning his head to look toward the foot of the bed, and instantly thought better of it as the light from the window seared into his eyes.

"Well, sort of. He thought you were breaking into the house."

"Sidney...is everything alright?" Esther's voice washed over him.

"Esther..." he said, embarrassed, "I...am trying to...damn, now I bloody remember. Eliza."

"Lord, what has that woman done now?"

"By this point, I have to ask myself what honestly she hasn't done, but this was a new low, even for her. The long and short of it...she has forbidden me to see Charlotte and threatened my very future as Georgiana's guardian if I do not comply," he said, massaging his eyelids.

"What??" Babington's voice rang through the room. "She has gone after your ward?"

"Yes, and according to her, I signed a document witnessed by my very brother while I was recovering at Trafalgar House, approving such an action to take place."

"That is madness. You would never-"

"I know. And I will get to the bottom of it. I just need more time. And the only way to buy that time was to agree not to see Charlotte."

"I always knew she was vile," Esther fumed, "Did she not just return?"

"Yes, apparently she heard from Mrs Mullens that Charlotte was Lady Worcester's new companion and felt compelled to return to London without delay. It was only a matter of time. I only wish I had seen it coming. I did not think she would stoop so low, in all honesty."

"Well, that rather justifies your state last night," Babington responded in an uncharacteristically angry tone.

"Just as everything was looking up, and now, thwarted once again," he said miserably.

"This is ridiculous," Esther spouted. "There must be something that we can do to help."

"You have been kind enough to allow me to rest here, Lord and Lady B. I should be on my way. This blasted headache is unlikely to subside even a trifle while the sun is out."

"No, you will not," Babington said abruptly. "You will stay here. For a time, at least. Use our home as a hiding place, or whatever you require."

"As much as I would love to, Babbers, I am to report to a near-constant stream of social events with Eliza as punishment."