9

Charlotte awoke to an unfamiliar and rather extravagant ceiling the following morning. The brocade hangings of her well-appointed four poster bed, which she hadn't drawn, brushed her arm as she sat up, alert, scanning the room before her. Morning light streamed in from the large window by the marble fireplace and danced cheerily upon the bright green panelling around the room and Charlotte found that for the first time in weeks, she felt happiness coursing through her body, her mind swirling with the exciting prospects of what lay ahead.

She quickly discovered upon their arrival the day before that everything about Lady Susan's London residence reflected her status, whether intended or not. In her bedroom alone, the walls were lined with intricate motifs painted in silver, the furnishings - she had the choice of either wingback chairs near the fireplace or a chaise longue in a slightly more secluded space nearer the window - were upholstered in velvet, and an elegantly carved writing desk had been placed along the wall opposite, stocked with paper and ink, ready for her to share her experiences at any moment. She must get in touch with her parents, and perhaps Georgiana, she thought as her eyes landed upon the desk. She had yet to respond to her latest letter, and she had so much to tell.

She walked to the window, wrapping her shawl around her as she went, noticing that the fire had been lit while she had been asleep. Though it was situated near Berkeley Square, Weston Place felt as spacious as a country house, with its expansive, bright spaces and high ceilings that resembled what Charlotte envisaged as more of a palace than a home. Even the exterior space was substantial, she observed, as she looked out upon a walled courtyard with formal gardens and walkways, contrasting heavily with the rows of terraced houses beyond.

The bedroom door opened behind her as she looked out upon the courtyard, admiring the way in which it lent the feeling of being nearer to the countryside. A lady's maid entered the room swiftly and with purpose, a freshly pressed gown in her hands. "Milady sent me up to get you dressed, Miss."

"Ah," Charlotte said hesitantly, "Thank you, Martha, but I am quite accustomed to doing so on my own if you could just help with my stays?"

She smiled at this, walking over to Charlotte with stays, petticoat and stockings in hand. "Milady said you might say as such." she said, finishing the task with a few swift motions, in so short a time that Charlotte had hardly looked away from the window when she said, "I will return to assist with your hair in a moment, Miss."

Charlotte nodded, catching sight of her hair in the mirror, still tangled from the bath that had been drawn for her the night before. "Alright, then," she agreed.

----------

Charlotte was later to breakfast than she thought possible, her hair taking far longer to arrange than her dress, and she found herself shaking her head at the impracticality of it all as she descended the grand marble imperial staircase. She certainly wouldn't have had the luxury of sparing that much time in Willingden just to make sure her hair was done properly.

"Charlotte," Susan greeted her happily at the base of the stairs. "Oh, I do rather like how Martha has styled your hair," she said, looking at it appraisingly.

"It is lovely, I will admit, but I hope you know that there is no need to go to such trouble, Susan. I have no wish to take away the time of your Lady's Maid," she said.

"Oh, nonsense. A new adventure in London calls for trying new things, does it not?"

Charlotte flushed as Susan took her arm and began leading her toward one of many corridors on the ground floor.

"Now, speaking of new things, let's get you some breakfast because we have a long day ahead and a very exclusive appointment this afternoon."

"Appointment?" Charlotte felt alarmed. What did she have up her sleeve?

"Yes. I happen to be very well acquainted with one of the finest modistes in London, and I must say, she is very much looking forward to meeting the lovely Miss Heywood."

"She already knows of me? Susan, it is too much," she said, visibly discomfited.

"Oh, it is just the beginning, my dear. Many surprises await you, all of them the very best, I hope. Now, let's seize the day, shall we?"