28

"It was...what?" Sidney cried, his voice amplified in the small space by the fire.

"Yes," said Lady Susan with a slight smile. "You know I cannot resist a scheme when the opportunity presents itself."

"Sidney," said Mary, seated across from her. "Come, there is much to explain."

"You willingly endangered the life of my ward for a scheme?" he said through gritted teeth, fury brewing within him at an alarming rate.

"Oh, dear mercy," Mr Bicknell said behind him, and Sidney glanced over in time to witness him wiping his forehead nervously with a kerchief. "Perhaps, we might all discuss this further while seated. Mr Parker, if you will." He motioned to the empty chairs.

"Sidney," said Mary, "Calm yourself, and sit down. There is far more to the story than what you are thinking at present."

"I've no doubt there is. But perhaps you might start by telling me how you have been plotting behind my back when one of you has been in Sanditon and the other in London?" Sidney seethed.

"Sometimes I wonder whether men truly understand a thing in this world," Susan mused. "If you think letter writing is merely a frivolous activity designed to keep us entertained, I urge you to think again, Mr Parker. We have been writing since the very evening of your injury, the very day of your parting with Charlotte, and we have been planning for just as long."

"Sidney, while I was at home...that day...I discovered a letter addressed to Charlotte in our post. The letter was from Susan, and I knew - almost instantly, that I had to contact her, that she would be able to help put this all to rights."

"I assure you, Mr Parker, that endangering the wellbeing of Miss Lambe was the very last thing on my mind when I mentioned the idea during a conversation with Mrs Mullens," said Susan.

"Eliza's friend, Mrs Mullens?" Sidney had begun to pace about the room, no longer able to stay still as he anticipated what was to come.

"Yes, the very same. You see, Mrs Mullens is a notorious gossip, and I knew that she would relay anything I said to Mrs Campion."

"And what did you suggest she do?"

"You know as well as everyone else in the room that a woman's fortune becomes the possession of her husband the moment they are married. I merely suggested that perhaps portions of the marriage settlement could be revised to offer the lady of the house a bit more freedom, and that it might even be done in so discreet a way as to avoid the notice of her betrothed, altogether. I had no idea that she would take the very idea and run with it. Honestly, I should have known better than to underestimate her vindictive qualities."

Sidney ran his fingers through his hair in frustration, "You did-" he stopped, feeling as if he had to catch his breath. "Why would you suggest such a thing?"

"Because," said Lady Susan, remaining composed, "in order to revise the settlement without your knowledge, Mrs Campion would have to commit an actionable offence. The document in Mrs Parker's possession is proof that she went to even greater lengths than I anticipated."

He looked back and forth between them, bracing a hand upon the back of Mary's chair briefly to stabilise himself, then deciding the better of it, he moved to the empty wingback chair next to the fire. "Now, tell me, Lady Worcester-"

"Please, call me Susan," she interjected, smiling comfortingly at him.

"...Susan," he said, closing his eyes and squeezing his septum to relieve the pressure. "How could we possibly catch Mrs Campion in the act of committing a crime if the document is already in existence?"