21

By the evening's end, Charlotte was convinced that she had spent the majority of their time together observing a master at work. Lady Susan had outdone herself, having put Sidney at such ease in their company that by the time the dessert course had arrived, he was in the midst of telling stories of the previous summer. Susan was rapt with attention, properly shocked by Georgiana's situation and her rescue, of which she had asked to hear more about, and her hearty laugh filled the room upon hearing of Charlotte's determination to tag along at the boarding house. It was a measure of trust that Sidney would even consider revealing such information, and yet, Susan was perhaps among the most trusting people she had ever met. Charlotte interjected in various parts of his story but was in the same breath fascinated by his own version of the events that day, and before the story's conclusion, which she was relieved ended with Charlotte's meeting Susan for the very first time, she realised that she was witnessing a version of Sidney Parker that she had not yet seen, and found herself motionless in her chair at the luck of this discovery - overcome that she had the chance of it at all.

Susan was kind enough to invite Sidney to join them for further conversation after dinner, but he made his apologies, insisting that he had trespassed on their kindness well enough and should get back to gather the proper documents to be reviewed. They agreed to meet during visiting hours the following day, and Susan wished him well.

"Bradford," her voice rang out, and he entered the room directly as if he had been hovering just outside awaiting her call. "Mr Parker is set to leave for the evening, but I'm afraid that I may be in need of your assistance just now. Charlotte, would you be so kind as to show Mr Parker out?" she said, glancing subtly in Charlotte's direction, giving her a slight nod.

"Yes," she spouted a touch too abruptly. "Yes, of course. Mr Parker?"

"Thank you, Miss Heywood," he nodded politely from across the dining table and she thought how handsome he looked with candlelight dancing upon his brow, his cheekbone, the rest of his face in shadow.

Her breath hitched as he moved toward her, the light moving with him, highlighting nose and jawline, his eyes taking shape and colour as he approached her.

"Shall we?" he asked, motioning toward the door.

"Ah...yes," she responded, shaken from her trance, a slight blush appearing upon her cheeks. "Follow me, Mr Parker."

Charlotte sensed him behind her as they stepped out into the hall, heard the sound of his boots upon the marble floor, could feel his proximity in every cell of her body as they walked the length of the seemingly endless corridor, passing by room after empty room. It was as they approached the entrance hall that she realised just how quiet Weston Place had become. It was unusually quiet - as if everything and everyone in the house had retreated; the calm before a storm.

She slowed her pace instinctively as their isolation became apparent to her, sensing his closeness behind her, feeling a prickling at the back of her neck, her breath catching at the thrill of it. She began to turn back to him, but he moved first, and she watched as he passed her by, extending a hand out behind him without breaking his stride, his palm open: an invitation. She accepted it, placing her hand upon his, and he led her not to the front door, but into the long-abandoned morning room.

He guided her around the door, closing it until it was only just open. She saw him through a mere sliver of light as he met her eyes, their breathing equally rapid as they stood alone, shrouded in darkness.

He held her gaze as he lifted her hand, bringing his lips to each knuckle as he made his way across, lingering, caressing the back of her hand with his thumb as he lowered it. "Thank you, Miss Heywood" he whispered.