29

It was the night of the Milton's ball, one of the grandest events of the season, and instead of talking animatedly with Susan as they readied themselves for the evening out, Charlotte stared absently at her reflection in the mirror, catching Susan's eye as she fastened a rather beautiful ruby necklace around her throat, an unmistakable feeling of dread pressing down upon her as Susan stepped away. It was the final finishing touch. They were nearly ready to leave.

"Absolutely stunning. It complements the gown rather well," said Susan, her tone brighter than it needed to be, and Charlotte suspected that she was trying her best to break her out of this sombre mood.

Charlotte had been dressed in the finest gown in her possession that evening - cream in colour with an outer layer of gold-embroidered gauze that created a shimmering effect each time it caught the light. She began to nervously adjust the curls that framed her face, chewing on her lower lip as she did so.

"Let me hazard a guess," said Susan calmly, "you are worried that Mr Parker and Mrs Campion will be attending this evening?"

Charlotte stopped, her fingers releasing a curl that she had been tugging at, causing it to bounce back into position, and looked at Susan in the mirror. "How could I not be?"

"My dear, it will be quite alright. You may stay by my side all evening if you wish it. I am more than happy to do the talking where Mrs Campion is involved. It may not be enjoyable conversation, but at the very least, it will keep me on my toes. One must practice the ability to retort in a quick and clever manner, and she is certainly no novice."

"It's just...it will be the third time this week that we have seen them."

"Well," said Susan, "then we shall find you a dashing Baronet to dance with to put her off the scent, and you will be fulfilling our mission of making new London connections in the most entertaining way possible."

Charlotte's face relaxed slightly. "Remember, my dear," Susan said, stepping toward her to adjust her sleeve, "you have every right to live your life. This business with Mrs Campion is merely an obstacle in our path."

"And yet, I would not have guessed that it would affect me so...that it would be quite so hard."

"All things worth having must be worked for, dear."

"Yes," she said, breathing deeply, "Yes, of course."

"Charlotte...are you alright? I know that we have spoken about it, but I must admit to worrying incessantly that Mrs Campion's visit rather got under your skin."

She blinked, as if startled by the comment. "Yes, of course...at least I will be. Just a bit weary, I think."

"Then, if you wish it, you need only give me a signal tonight and we shall return home immediately."

"Really, Susan, I will be fine. Once we arrive, all will be okay again."

Susan eyed her sceptically, pursing her lips in thought. "I trust you to know yourself, dear, but my offer stands. You have my protection if and when you need it. And, if you are quite sure that you are ready for the evening to be underway at last, then I suppose we should make haste and ready ourselves for the carriage, or Bradford will have both our heads," she grinned mischievously.

"You know, Susan," Charlotte said, taking her arm as they made their way toward the entrance hall, "sometimes I think that I might be happiest to live out my days at Weston Place."

Susan smiled, a hint of concern in her expression, "and know, dear, that you are always welcome here, for however long you wish, but I very much believe that you will be far happier with your Mr Parker when we get this straightened out at last. Promise to visit often when you are happily married. I have grown so fond of your company that I admit I can't quite imagine going through the day-to-day without it."