The Second Task

I didn't come out of my dorm all weekend until Hermione dragged me out.

"Come on May, you can't pout forever! You're coming to dinner." I didn't wanna eat. I wasn't starving myself or anything, my whole body just felt full. Full of sadness. There was no room for anything else.

I couldn't decide if I was heartbroken over Draco or Cedric, or maybe from just not being enough for either. I was about to take my first bite of food when I locked eyes with Cedric, and suddenly any ounce of an appetite left my body.

"Do you know what the next task is yet Harry?" Hermione asked him while squeezing my hand after she noticed Cedric looking at me.

"All I know is that it has to do with mermaids, and I need to figure out how to stay underwater for an hour." He said also poking at his food. He must've been too anxious to eat just as I was.

Once again I worked up the ability to take a bite when Professor McGonagall tapped on my shoulder.

"Miss Kingsley and Mr Weasley, please come with me. You're not in trouble." We both followed her to her office giving each other worried glances. Once we got there I saw two other students already sitting down. "You're all here because you mean a great deal to a champion, you're a treasure to them. For the second task the champions will have an hour to rescue you from the mermaids cove. It won't be scary, you will be put into a deep sleep through enchantment, so you all must go walk down to the Black Lake."

"You go ahead Ron, I'll catch up." He left with the other students while I stayed behind to speak to Professor McGonagall.

"Professor, I'm assuming that I'm Cedrics to rescue?" I asked.

"You are dear." She said rummaging through her drawers.

"I can't expect you to know this Professor, but me and Cedric broke up. I would recommend Cho Chang instead, he would care much more for her life." I admitted.

"Funny you say that miss Kingsley, because when I spoke to Miss Chang earlier she said that exact thing about you. The way she described how he felt about you made it seem like you were the better option. I can assure you Mr. Diggory cares more for you, so off to the Blake Lake you go." She shoed me away. I met everyone at the Lake, and was put into a deep sleep.

Cedrics Pov

The only thing that got me through the first task was May. Something about her kiss just made me feel like I could do anything, but she was no where to be found now.

I was admittedly worried about her, surely there was no way she would miss this. However, I was forced to go on without her. I arrived at the Black Lake where thousands of students cheered. The night before I learned a spell that would help me to stay under for an hour, in order to search for whatever it is that was taken from me.

As I dived into the water she was still my every waking thought. Whatever object I was searching for down here would never matter to me as much as she did. May was what I had truly lost. As I swam deeper and deeper I thought I was hallucinating when I saw her tied up, but the more my vision cleared I saw the other three people tied up. May was my treasure.

I drew my wand and broke her ropes, before taking her in my arms for the first time in what felt like forever. I raced myself back to the top, but not to win. Screw the competition, I had to get her back to safety. The second she was out of the water she drew breath again, and went into a panic.

"It's okay, it's okay." I assured her, cupping her face the way I used to.

"I knew you'd save me." She smiled at me. Her smile made me feel like she was still mine, because in this moment at least, she was.

"Let's get you dry okay." I lifted her up onto the dock and then climbed up. I was handed a towel, but used it for May instead, and then held her close to warm her up.

"The first champion to finish the task, coming in first place, Cedric Diggory!" As I looked around I finally realized that none of the other champions had made it back up yet, I won. I looked back to her, and she was still smiling at me. I couldn't handle it, I had to kiss her, and when I did she didn't pull away.

"I believe you Cedric." She said looking into my eyes. "I love you."

"I love you too." The biggest smile sweeped my face as I pulled her in for another kiss. She was mine again.

Draco's Pov

She had been skipping meals, and it concerned me, so I spoke to Hermione and begged her to drag her down for dinner. Ever since she helped me ask May to the ball I haven't called her any names, so she was willing to listen to me. Of course, it also probably had to do with the fact she was worried about May as well.

When she walked into the dining hall my heart dropped. The poor girl looked lifeless, and I was the reason. She had red eye bags, and her skin was pale as ever. I've never hated myself more than when I looked at what I had done to her, but I'd rather her think I'm a cheater than know I've been working for the Dark Lord. At least she'll be mad at me and safe.

The day of the next task she was nowhere to be found. Was she really that upset? I wanted to speak to her, and let her know that no matter how much pain she felt she was only half as heartbroken as me.

I couldn't do this anymore. I would risk everything just so she would know I never slept with Pansy. So that I could have her back. My bed felt empty without her, cold and abandoned. The memory of her skin haunted my sheets, and when I woke up alone I was reminded of what I lost.

Diggory was the first to come up from the water, and he was holding someone, a girl. The treasures were people. My eyes didn't deceive me, it was her, of course it was.

She kissed him. After everything, she kissed him. It wasn't fair, at least I never actually cheated on her. She only felt this for him because he rescued her, even though if it were me I would've had her out before the first 10 minutes were up.

I would've done anything for her. If she weren't down there, unsafe not to mention, because of Diggory I could've talked to her. I could've told her I would never touch the skin of another. She would've been mine. But instead she stood there on the dock, kissing him.