The Final Task

As I stood in the stands my leg bounced, and I bit my nails. It had been an hour.

"May, they will be okay." Hermione assured me, placing her hand on my knee to stop the bouncing.

"Hermione can I tell you something?" I asked.

"Anything." She said leaning in closer so I could speak quieter.

"If- When Cedric comes back I'm breaking up with him." I muttered.

"What? I thought you loved him, has he done something?" She questioned.

"I do love him, and he has done nothing, it's me. I love Cedric so much, but no matter how hard I try it never measures up to what I feel for somebody else." I explained.

"Oh May, who is it?" She asked leaning closer, expecting my whisper to get quieter.

"It's Dr-" I was cut off by an arise of clapping. They had returned, and there he was. Harry laid over Cedric, not giving me a clear view of his face.

Why was he not getting up? Why was he not moving? That was when I realized Harry was crying over his body. Why was he crying? God please no. No no no.

Harry moved slightly, giving me an opportunity to see Cedric, and he wasn't blinking. His lungs were not revealing themselves through his neck while rising nor lowering. He drew no breath.

"Cedric!" I let out a piercing scream as the band continued to play and people continued to cheer. No one noticed, but I did. "Cedric!" I screamed once more running from the stands, pushing everyone in front of me out of my way as I ran beside his body. "Cedric wake up. Wake up Cedric I know you're okay please." I whimpered to him through tears I hadn't even noticed were coming. The stands slowly quieted and gasps replaced the cheers.

"Harry what's happened?!" Dumbledore asked running towards the scene, and pulling him away, hardly noticing me.

"He's back. He's back. Voldemort's back." Harry cried now in Dumbledores arms as he held him back.

"Cedric breathe!" I held his face the way he used to hold mine, and I shook his head. "Cedric please come back for me, don't leave me." I cried holding his head against my chest as tears streamed into his hair.

"The body must be moved Dumbledore." A man muttered, and as he began to step towards Cedric I shrieked.

"No! Get away he's not dead!" I screamed with tears flooding my face. Everyone in the stand watched with pity as they saw my painful denial. "He's not dead." I said quietly as Snape pulled me away.

"That's my son!" Yelled Mr. Diggory pushing through the crowd. "That's my boy!" He ran up to Cedric, but they also tried to keep him away. He cried in the arms of the stranger who held him back, just as I did.

Snape wasn't comforting me, he was holding me back to prevent further attention drawn, but Cedric would have held me. No matter how selfish I was, he would have held me. I was going to leave him. My plan was to end things, but now it had been done for me. This was not meant to happen.

Sure, Cedric would have been heartbroken, but he would be alive. He would continue to manage his breath. This was not supposed to happen. I would rather see his sad eyes everyday than his lifeless ones right now. He was gone.

~

It had been a week since the passing of Cedric Diggory, and I had yet to leave my room. My stomach growled constantly, but I refused to step foot in the dining hall, or in any classroom shared with him. I refused to see his empty seat everywhere I went. In the courtyard, at the dining table, in potions, and even in the hallways, where he had stepped on every tile.

People would knock everyday, but I always shunned them away. Sometimes Hermione wouldn't knock, she would simply walk in and silently leave a tray of food. She would also pick up the tray from the day before that I hadn't yet eaten. Once again, there was a knock at my door.

"Leave me be." I said emotionless, but they ignored me. "I said leave me-" I began to raise my voice as I sat up, but saw Harry. I laid my head back down as if I hadn't spoken a word, and as if he wasn't even in the room.

"You don't have to speak May, but you should know this." He said quietly sitting on the edge of the bed behind me, not facing you either. "When I was fighting Voldemort," My skin pricked itself at the mention of his name, "a spell was conducted. Dumbledore told me it's called the Priori Incactem, and it's when a wand is forced to reveal the spells of the past. In this case, it showed me all of the times he had conducted the death curse on the people I love, and I saw them May, like really saw them. My parents were there, and- and so was Cedric."

A tear streamed down my face. I hadn't heard the name out loud for 7 days through silence.

"He spoke something to me, it was the last words I ever heard from him. Do you know why I brought his body back?" I silently balled into my pillow as Harry continued his story. "I brought him back because his last words were 'I promised May I would come back, please bring me back for her.'" I winced into my pillow as if a sharp knife had stabbed me in the stomach.

A tear fell down Harry's face as he heard me grow miserable. "I'll leave you be, but you deserved to know that he came back for you. He kept his promise."

He sat there for a moment more, and let out a sigh as he stood up. Next thing I knew I heard the door click shut and I immediately began to scream into my pillow. Even in death I was his first thought, but I was too selfish to make him mine.

Draco's Pov

I think everyone had their own thoughts before they caught onto the fact that dear old Diggory was dead. Personally, I thought he was paralyzed at first, but then I heard her piercing scream. You could hear the pain, anyone could. She was the first to figure out that Cedric was not breathing.

It didn't hurt me to see her with him anymore, it hurt me to see her so destroyed, and so broken. Within a minute her spirt had been transformed into agony and it showed all over her.

She had not been seen by a soul for a week. Hermione told me that she was bringing her meals, but she would never eat them. Everytime I asked she said that May was yet to say a word, and that she always entered and left in complete silence.

Would she ever recover, and if she did, would she ever come back to me? I would probably always be a constant reminder of what she lost, but she was going to chose me, and now it was a mystery if she would ever be ready again.

Every night I imagined her laying in bed crying for me, and needing my comfort, but then I remember I'm probably the last person she wants to see right now. However, she will always be the only person I wanted to see, that I needed to see.

What would I do with myself if she decided she was done with me? Maybe space was for the best, maybe she needed me, but what if she didn't? I couldn't bare to find out, but I had to know if she was okay, or if we still had a chance.

I didn't want to be selfish, but I had to be. I had to speak to her.