𝐱𝐯𝐢. chasing pavements

Maisie had managed to distract herself by looking at the wide range of food and drink available and luckily had managed to keep out of Scott's sight for the time being

Thank god for that.

With Scott being a late comer to the party, it was only a matter of time before he would be catching up with his teammate and best friend, Dan.

"Mate, is Maisie still here?" Scott questioned, looking around the guests with the Glaswegian girl to be nowhere near in sight. "You two didn't tell me the she was invited."

"Maisie and Rhea get a long pretty well so it just felt right to invite her, not that you have a problem with it." Daniel shrugged, not letting the real reason as to why she was invited to shine through.

"So, Maisie's the mystery girl is it?" The girl from Scott's side finally spoke up after watching the two footballers speak amongst themselves. "How long has this thing between you two been going on for?"

"Far too long, you two are just as stubborn as each other." Daniel nodded his head, making the girl laugh a long with him.

"You seriously have the cheek to turn up here late with another girl? I've seen you do some mad things, Scott, but that's unforgivable." Rhea exclaimed, as she stood by Daniel's side and not letting anyone else get a word in. "No wonder why Maisie's nowhere to be seen."

"R, you've got the wrong end of the stick." The Welsh International tried his hardest to comfort his girlfriend. "That's Amelia, Scott's cousin."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Daniel's girlfriend replied, slightly red faced at the situation. Luckily, Scott and Amelia did find it funny, leaving no bad blood.

"No worries, I can see why Maisie's probably got the wrong end of the stick then." Amelia chuckled before reaching out to shake Rhea's hand. "Amelia, Scott's cousin."

"Do either of you know where's she's went to then? Mais won't answer my calls or texts." Scott sighed, awkwardly itching the back of his neck.

"Probably because you did the exact same thing to her, Einstein." Amelia said, jokingly punching her cousin's shoulder before pausing for a second. "Hold on, isn't that her?"

"Hawk eye, you are!" Rhea joked to her. "Go on Scott, now's your time to shine." She instructed the footballer, receiving nods of agreement from Daniel and Amelia.

"Don't fuck this one up, Scotty. Don't fuck this one one." He murmured to himself before he eventually approached Maisie. "Hey, you... Long time, no see." The footballer finally said, awkwardly scratching his head.

"Maybe for the best, isn't it?" She shrugged, being apparent she had taken the wrong end of the stick. "Just promise me one thing, yeah? Look after that new girl of yours." She said, glancing over to Amelia who had stayed with Daniel and Rhea.

"Right, let me explain that one." Scott sighed, pleading for Maisie to not leave so soon. "That's Amelia and she's my cousin, Rhea got the wrong end of the stick too. Apparently quite an easy mistake."

"It still doesn't answer for you ignoring all of my phone calls and texts since we last saw each other, does it?" Maisie questioned, making hardly to little no eye contact with the Scottish International. "I actually don't even know why I travelled all the way down here to try and win you back when you couldn't even give me the time or day to simply answer me once."

"You came all the way here for me? What about the baby shower?" Scott questioned, taken aback at the Glaswegian girl's actions. "If I'd known that then maybe I would have came back sooner."

"Of course I'm here for Dan and Rhea's sake too but the aim of this to try and patch things up with you and to tell you that I really did like you." The girl said as she shrugged the entire situation off before thinking on what else to say. "But now I'm not really sure if the entire chase was really worth it after all..."

"Come on, Maisie." The footballer attempted to plead with her once more. "You don't really mean that, do you?" He said, hoping that he would get the answer that he longed for after all this time waiting.

"Yeah, I do." She sighed. "This time I really do mean it. I should have known this from the start, a stupid little girl from Glasgow having a one night stand with a Premier League star, of course it was never going to work."

"You're forgetting how far we've come since then and all you want to do is throw this all away? I really did think a lot more of you, Maisie, I really did." Scott said, shaking his head in disbelief. "I really can't believe that you want to throw this all away just like that."

"Well maybe I do." Masie shrugged once again. "You don't have the decency to even pick up the phone to me so why would I want to keep the chase going? It really was between giving up or still forever chasing pavements."

"That's because I was hurting from the rejection from the night before, thinking you had played me the entire time." Scott explained, slowly beginning to feel a bit more agitated by the situation.  "It would be well different if the roles were reversed."

"Because I didn't want to take advantage of you when you were vulnerable after a few drinks, I  didn't know if it was the drink talking or not." She fought her ground back at him. "Tell Dan and Rhea I enjoyed the baby shower, will ya?"

"You give up too easily." He called back at her.

"One last thing, leave me alone."

finally chapter sixteen lovelies, i'm so sorry for the lack of updates recently!! it really isn't long for this book to finish now <33

all my love, b x