Chapter 5 - Can We Forgive & Forget

I took PJ’s hand, being nervous to see Dan again. I know it’s stupid but I will always love him but right now? I just hate him. He promised me he would never hurt me but what has he done?

“Hey birthday girl!” I turned around squealing. There was my best friend from home, Liz. Elizabeth had always been there for me no matter what, “I heard about everything.” She looked at mine and PJ’s hands. “This isn’t Mr. Howell Mel.”

I sighed, “I guess I should actually say something about this seeing as he won’t.” I muttered to myself before looking at Liz, “We broke up. Dmelia is no more.” She gasped pulling me into a tight hug.

“Shit.” She said as I tried my best not to break down. “Don’t cry Mel it’s your party.”

I looked at her whispering, “He’s in here somewhere…” I looked back at PJ, “This is my housemate Liz, PJ Liguori. Peej, this is my best friend from home Elizabeth.” I introduced them both. I glanced just past Liz’s shoulder to see Dan in the far corner of the lounge where were all were. Our house isn’t that big but when it’s full of people, the other side of the room can seem far away.

As I studied his faceI could tell that he hadn’t been sleeping. He didn’t look like his usual self. He turned his head slightly and made eye contact with me. I looked away standing closer to PJ. “What’s wrong?” Liz asked.

“Okay, without making it obvious,” I whispered so they could both hear, “Dan is stood in the corner of the room.” I looked at PJ as he studied his friend’s body language. “Do we still go ahead with the plan?” I asked looking at him. Our faces were so close to each others.

“What plan?” Liz asked.

PJ’s eyes moved slowly before nodding. “This.” He pulled me into his chest and pressed his lips against mine. This was different to the kisses I was used to with Dan. Dan’s were loving. This just felt… Wrong.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?!” I heard Dan’s voice scream as he pulled PJ off me. It had worked but I couldn’t help but feel awful because of it. “You’re my friend Peej! And she’s my ex! Seriously?!”

I looked at them with tears in my eyes. “You have no right.” I said to Dan, breathing hard trying to control myself. “Y-you have no say o-over my life anymore Daniel.” I tried to be strong but I was failing. I could see he was hurting just as much as I was. “The party’s over. I want everyone to leave Peej.” I said quietly as I made my way to my bedroom.

——

*Dan’s POV*

I watched as Amelia ran upstairs. I went to go after her when I felt someone pull on my arm. I turned around and saw Phil. “Don’t you think you’ve done enough damage?” He spat.

This wasn’t my fault but no one seemed to care or understand. Pandora, the nurse that was there when Amelia had to be put into a coma had somehow spiked my drink. I know what my limits are and I know full well I wouldn’t dare think of cheating on Amelia… She’s my one. The person I want to spend the rest of my life with.

I looked back at my former best friend. This whole situation had ruined everything between me and Phil but I knew he would be able to know whether I was telling the truth or not. “Phil…” He looked up at me, “I was spiked. I had one drink that night and Pandora spiked it.” He just looked at me, “She’s nothing more than some pathetic crazed fan that can’t handle that I’m happy with someone else.” I looked down, “I know I messed up but all I’m asking for is for you to forgive me so I can have my best friend back.”

When I heard Phil sigh I knew he knew I was right. “5 minutes. That’s all you get Dan. If you haven’t sorted things out then I suggest you start to move on.”

I was halfway up the stairs by the time Phil had finished the sentence. I needed to fix this. I had too.