Chapter 8 - Morning Sickness

I don’t remember what time it was the morning after my 21st birthday party, all I knew was that I woke up with the urge to empty the entire content of my stomach.

This was the first time in a long time that I was ill. I shot out of bed, almost pushing Dan to the floor and ran to the bathroom. I crouched down and began heaving the entire contents of my stomach into the toilet. I must be hungover, I thought, it’s not like it could be anything else.

"Melly?" I heard Dan call from the hallway, "Babe, are you okay?" I couldn’t stop myself to answer him. All I could do was sniff and feel sorry for myself. What if I’m pregnant? I thought, you haven’t even been 21 for a day, also you’ve only just got back with your boyfriend. Imagine how freaked out he’d be if you was. My mind was racing, Did me and Dan even use protection last night?

"Amelia?" Dan’s concerned voice came through the bathroom door.

I sniffed and flushed the toilet door, my period would come in the next few days. Only time would tell.

——

The next couple of mornings were exactly the same. Always at the same time in a morning, I would shoot out of bed and run towards the bathroom to empty my stomach.

"Mia?" Peej called from his bedroom as I left the bathroom, "Maybe you should go to the doctors?" He asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders going into his room, “I probably have some sort of bug.” I looked at him, “If I do then I don’t think you can catch it.” I stated, “Dan would have caught it by now.” It wasn’t hard to miss the sadness in PJ’s face everytime I mentioned Dan.

"I still think you should go and see them Mia." He said as I sat on the bed, "I could come with you if you’re scared." He was right, I was scared.

All the possibilities ran through my head but the biggest one was pregnancy. Being a mother at 21 was frightening and never something I had never thought of. I don’t even think that Dan has thought about a family.

"Mia?" Peej created another nickname for me, he thought that Melly was a bit childish, "What’s wrong?" He asked.

"What if I’m…" I couldn’t say the word. He and Dan had only recently got back together. This could possibly destroy everything.

PJ sighed, “We won’t know unless you take a test or go to the doctors.” He smiled at me, “Which one is it going to be?”

——

PJ had thought it’d be a good idea to get out of the house for a little while. He decided to take us to a little cafe which was just around the corner from where we lived.

Peej had only convinced me to go to the shop next door and by a pregnancy test. I was terrified. I bought the test and went straight to the toilet whilst Peej ordered our drinks.

After waiting 3 minutes for the results, I looked down at the test which indicated I was 3+ weeks pregnant. This was everything I had never dreamt of. What was I going to do? Should I tell Dan? He has a right to know.

I came out of the bathroom and wrapped my arms around PJ. I hid into his shoulder as I tried my best to hold back my tears. “What did it say Mia?” Peej asked as he rubbed my back. I couldn’t say it. Somehow, not saying the word almost made it not real. “Mia?” Peej asked again. All I could do was nod. “It’ll be okay Mia. I promise.” He kept hold of me and kissed the top of my head. We ordered our drinks and went back home.

——

Since I found out I was preganant, Peej had convinced me to go around to Dan’s apartment and tell him. PJ said that if Dan loved me as much as he says he does, then he’ll support whatever decision I decide to take.

I knocked on their door, nervously playing with my hands. “Hang on.” Dan called from behind the door. He had text me early before asking me to keep him company whilst Phil was with Liz. He opened the door and smiled, “Hey babe.” He leant down for a kiss, “What took you so long?” I walked into the apartment still playing with my hands.

"The tube was busy." I smiled at him, "Not my fault you live on the other side of London is it?" He laughed.

"Not my fault you haven’t moved back in yet." He smiled going back into the lounge.

"I’m just going to the toilet," I shouted to Dan who mumbled back to me. After going to the toilet, I went into the lounge to see a slightly confused looking Dan.

"What’s up babe?" I asked as I sat next to him.

"What did you do the other day?" He asked not looking up from his laptop.

"I went to the shop. Why?" I asked studying his face.

"So you went with PJ?" He still didn’t look at me.

"He asked if I wanted a coffee that’s all. Why? How do you know this?" I asked.

"If you’re going to cheat on me to get revenge… Don’t you think you could have done it somewhere my fans wouldn’t see it?" He put his macbook on my lap as he stood up. I could see what he was looking at. It was a picture of me and PJ in the cafe, just moments after I found out I’m pregnant. "You were lying with me just to sleep with me is that it?" He couldn’t have got it anymore wrong if he tried.

"Dan, this isn’t what you think it is." I heard myself begin to say.

"So what is it?!" He yelled, "Because you look pretty cosy there." I fought back my tears.

"Let me explain…"

"Explain what Amelia?! That you’ve been sleeping with my best friend for months. You just couldn’t help yourself could you?" He started to laugh as the tears started to fall down my face, "And here they come… the fake water works." He took his macbook off my lap, "You know what, get out. We’re over."

That was the moment my world shattered. “Dan please!” I stood up, begging. “You’ve got this all wrong.” I went to grab his hand but he moved away as if i had some sort of illness. “D-Dan.” I choked out, “I-I love you.”

"If you did…" He said quietly, "Then that picture wouldn’t exist." He looked at me, "I’ll tell you again… get out." He grabbed my arm and forced me out of his and Phil’s apartment.

"Wait!" He slammed the door close. "I’m pregnant." I whispered against the door. The only thing I had left of Dan and he didn’t know anything about it. My life is a trainwreck.