Chapter 13 - Just One Yesterday

This was like a nightmare. Dan was one of the best things that has happened in my life and right now, I ran the risk of losing him... I couldn't loose him at all.

"Amelia?" I turned around to see my brother sprinting towards me, "I came as soon as I could." He pulled me into a hug as I burst into tears.

"W-we w-were h-happy." I cried into him, "Oh Phil."

"It'll be okay. Okay?" He rubbed my arms, "Dan's strong. He wouldn't want us to be upset would he?" I shook my head. "Think of the twins. You don't want to be putting stress on them do you?" I shook my head again. "Do you know where he is?"

"They told me that they were taking him to the operating theatre a-and that was the last I heard." I slid down the wall putting my head into my hands, "I can't loose him Phil. I can't bring the twins up without him... Oh God, listen to me I sound so selfish."

"No you don't." Phil slid down the wall and sat next to me. "You and Dan are exactly the same. He was like that when you were in this position." He pulled me into another hug, "You're both caring people."

I smiled looking at my brother, "Thank you Phil."

—-

I opened my eyes seeing that my head was in my brother's lap. "How long was I asleep for?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"Only an hour," Phil smiled sadly, "Still no change." I didn't want to start crying again. I didn't have any tears left to cry.

"Phil?" A woman's voice came across to us.

"Mrs Howell?" My brother stood up.

"Oh God it's true." She started to get upset, "Daniel..." Phil nodded.

"He's in the best place Mrs. Howell." Phil pulled her into a hug, "He's still in theatre."

"What happened?" She was asking Phil all the same questions he'd been previously asking me.

"We were crossing the road." I said quietly seeing both their heads turn towards my direction. "I'm not sure if Dan has told you Mrs. Howell... but we're expecting twins." I gulped waiting for her reaction. When it didn't come I carried on, "We came out of the hospital and... we were c-crossing the road... he was saying h-how he was t-the happiest m-man on the p-planet. I carried on walking. I-I didn't s-see the c-car but I h-heard it." I broke down again. "I-I'm sorry M-Mrs. H-Howell."

"Oh sweetie it's not your fault." She took my hands. "I promise you. It's whoever ran my son over." I nodded looking down again.

"Are you the family of Daniel Howell?" I looked up to see a doctor.

"Family and friends." Phil said, "My sister is carrying his twins." I looked up at the doctor.

"How is he?" I asked looking at the doctor, "Can we see him?"

The doctor looked at his clipboard, "Mr. Howell is out of the operating theatre. Unfortunately, Mr. Howell is in a coma. You can visit him now." He looked back at his clipboard walking away.

"Amelia?" I gasped looking around. I swear that was Dan's voice. But it couldn't have been. Dan's in a coma.

"Amelia? Sweetie, are you coming?" I looked at Phil and Dan's mother.

"Come on, it's okay Melly." He reached out for my hand, "Ready?"

"No." I looked at Phil, "Let's go."

We walked into Dan's room slowly, "Wake up sweetheart." There is was again. Dan's voice. Am I driving myself insane with guilt? I can't be. We walked into Dan's room looking at his lifeless body.

"My baby." Dan's mum went over to his side, "I'm here now. Don't worry." She took hold of his hand, "You should have been watching the road." She said quietly.

I sat down on the chair that Phil put on the side of Dan's bed. "You okay Melly?" He asked as he crouched down at the side of me.

"I'm not sure." I looked at Phil, "Dan shouldn't be here at all Phil."

"I know Amelia." Phil started to rub my hands.

"Please wake up Amelia. We're all here. Me, Phil, your mum and dad. Just wake up. I know you can." I closed my eyes. I'm driving myself insane.

—-

I slowly opened my eyes seeing that I was lying on a hospital bed. I don't remember being on a bed. I looked around seeing there were wires in my arms. "W-what the hell?" I whispered quietly pulling the wires out of my arms, gasping as alarms were going off as I pulled them out.

"Amelia?" I looked up seeing Dan run into the room. Wait, Dan? "You're awake!" He ran back out of the room. "Phil?! Amelia is awake!" He came running back into my room. "I thought you'd never w-wake up." Dan took my hand.

"What do you mean?" I looked at him, "It should be me asking if you're okay." I sat up slowly.

"Amelia... You've been in a coma sweetheart." No. This couldn't be true. "Kyle stabbed you babe... You lost so much blood that the doctors had to put you in a coma."

"W-what? I-I don't understand. You were the one in a coma. Y-you were hit by a car." I looked around as the realization dawned on. "N-none of that was real was it?" I got tears in my eyes. "W-we were having a-a family." I started to cry.

Dan started to rub my hands, "Sweetheart... I don't think that was imaginary." He smiled putting his other hand on my stomach. I gasped. Oh my... I looked at his hand seeing a swollen belly, "We're having twins baby."