5| Seniors and Juniors

The correct answer for the 4th chapter was given by damfaefireheart172. Congrats!
-Mischief Managed.

***

A week passed by as Thursday arrived. The Marauders were getting along with the golden trio. Lily and Hermione were inseparable. Sometimes, Moony joined their conversations.

James was still acting awkward in front of his son. Poor Harry thought it was his fault even when the others confronted him saying that it was not the case. Lily and Severus hadn't talked to each other after the stunt pulled by the Slytherin, Draco Malfoy. She knew it wasn't fair to him but she couldn't help herself.

Today, the Marauders were joking around in the common room.

"Guys," Harry said with a worried look on his face. "You don't want to be late in Potions... the professor is not forgiving."

"Okay," James said awkwardly as they walked through the long corridors. Suddenly, Lily ran to them.

"I spoke to Severus and-"

"You spoke to that brainless creature?" Sirius interrupted Lily.

"Don't say that about him," Lily spoke back. "He's not a brainless creature. Listen to me, this is important. The Potions professor, he is-"

Just then, the Marauders walked into the classroom. They stopped, gasping at the Professor in pure horror.

Overcoming his shock, Sirius bit his lips trying not to burst out laughing, followed by the others except Lily. She quickly grabbed a seat in the back of the class beside Severus, who was just as horrified.

"Settle down," Snape said in his stern voice making Sirius chuckle behind James. When they didn't move, "5 points from Griffindor each for not following said orders."

They grabbed their seats quickly before Professor Snape could take more points. Just then James started chuckling, "He? A professor?"

Fortunately, Snape was busy with Malfoy who had just come in, his right arm covered in bandages and bound up in a sling, acting, in James' opinion, as though he were the heroic survivor of some dreadful battle.

"Snape is the head of the Slytherin house," Hermione said slowly. "He is exceptionally unfair to Griffindors. So, you might want to be on your best behavior."

"Mhm," Sirius said trying not to burst out laughing.

James turned around to see Lily, who was comforting Severus. Anger errupted inside James.

"Ten points from Griffindor," Professor Snape said. He was standing close to James who had failed to notice the man.

James sat straight trying not to think of Lily and Severus.

They were making a new potion today, a Shrinking Solution.

Malfoy set up his cauldron right next to Harry and Ron, so that they were preparing their ingredients on the same table.

“Sir,” Malfoy called, “sir, I’ll need help cutting up these daisy roots, because of my arm —”

“Weasley, cut up Malfoy’s roots for him,” said Snape without looking up.

Ron went brick red. After protesting in vain, Ron seized his knife, pulled Malfoy’s roots toward him, and began to chop them roughly, so that they were all different sizes.

But then, Malfoy complained and Ron was forced to exchange roots with him. James remained quite, his attention mostly towards the Snape sitting beside Lily. But then, Malfoy crossed all limits.

“And, sir, I’ll need this shrivelfig skinned,” said Malfoy, his voice full of malicious laughter. James, Sirius and Lily looked up to glare at him.

“Potter, you can skin Malfoy’s shrivelfig,” said Snape.

James turned red in anger. If Professor McGonagall had not warned them, he would have stood up. But James was also known for breaking rules and not listening to things said to him. Before he could respond, Lily stood up.

"Please, Professor. Harry can continue. I would love to help Draco."

James turned and glared back, this time at Lily.

Snape, with an angry expression turned to look at her. "Nobody aske-" But he stopped and narrowed his eyes as he observed her for the first time.

"What is your name?" He asked between deep breaths. The others looked at Snape shocked at the sudden change in his behavior.

"I-" Lily spoke slowly. "My name is Ivy. Ivy Nightingale. I am a transfer student."

Professor Snape proceeded to look at young Severus, who was trying his best to stay invisible, sitting beside her. He turned and spoke with a heart-broken voice, "Class is dismissed for today. Leave the cauldrons. I need to speak to Professor McGonagall."

***

James excused himself from lunch muttering, "Stupid Snivellus, how dare he sit near Evans..."

Lily and Moony were out with Hermione so, Sirius walked into the Great Hall alone. "How's it going, Seamus?"

Seamus turned, "Hello Shrek, I'm fine. Have a seat."

Sirius made himself comfortable and listened to their conversation.

"-by a Muggle," Seamus was saying. "By the time the ministry arrived, he was gone!"

"Who are you talking about?" Sirius asked, his curiosity already reaching it's peaks.

"Sirius Black."

"WHAT!?!"

"Woah, there mate," Seamus asked laughing. "Have you been living under a rock? Sirius Black, one of the most loyal spies and followers of you-know-who. He was appointed Secret keeper of the Potters."

Sirius stared horrified as Seamus confirmed his worst suspicions, "But little did they know, Black was going to give away their secret to you-know-who. Then, he-who-must-not-be-named, killed James and Lily Potter. That's the story of how their best friend betrayed their trust."

***

Well, that was dramatic. It's over here but it is still 1st January somewhere in the world, so...

Happy New Year!

Have a wonderful 2021 ahead!

___

Dear person who is reading this in the future - 2030 or 2040,

I am Vesta. I fell asleep while writing this chapter and now, I am having a hard time trying to remember why I planned to write this letter in the first place. Hope you are having fun with your future phones and laptops and a better updated version of Wattpad. Do not forget the senior citizens (us, duh!). Thank you,

Yours ho-lily,
Vesta, the awful author.
___

■ What is the name of Hagrid’s pet hippogriff?