Chapter 6

Another day, another however-many hours spent in his room.

Nestled in his spot underneath the bed, Tommy was restless. He wanted to get up, to do something, but he couldn't. Whether it was out of pride, or so
mething else, he didn't know. Didn't care, either.

He'd invented little games, a 'fun' way to keep himself busy when he wasn't asleep, in the cafeteria, or using the bathroom (three bathroom breaks- he still couldn't get over that).

He was currently counting the footsteps of the people outside his room. With enhanced hearing, the footsteps were loud and clear. That, or maybe it was the deafening silence of the room making any sound louder than it needed to be. Either or.

He'd memorised quite a few footstep patterns in his spare time - all of his time was spare, really - but he didn't have names, faces, even, to go with them.

Well, except for one.

As if on cue, Tommy recognised the footsteps of a particular guard. They weren't much of a guard, more of a glorified babysitter.

Tommy bit back a sneer. He hated babysitters.

Tommy rolled over, facing inwards, as the door opened. He lay still, as if Eret was a T-Rex, unable to see him if he didn't move. (Tubbo had actually told him that this was false - probably true, seeing as Tubbo was smart like that - but Tommy couldn't be bothered to think of another animal that could only see movement).

Was it cafeteria time? Cafeteria time was always at the same time each day. Maybe Tommy was getting worse at keeping track of time.

"Hey."

Tommy didn't respond.

"Listen. I'm not supposed to tell you this, so I'd appreciate it if you paid attention."

Tommy, once again, didn't move. Why should he? Eret was an asshole.

"Tommy, please."

After a moment, Tommy rolled over, ears twitching.

"Well? Get on with it then." Tommy pinned the other with a sharp stare. Like all the times before, Eret did not react.

"Your friend, the bee kid, right?"

"How d'you know I'm friends with him- not friends, even, more associates, really-"

"I'm supposed to keep an eye on you. Me and Paula talk sometimes."

"Thought names were supposed to be top secret."

"That's just what management says. None of us really bother with it, just unnecessary hassle, really." Tommy was getting tired of all this chatter. They'd said something about Tubbo?

"Alright, alright. What's this about Tubbo?"

"Right, he's gone for testing."

The news almost didn't register. Testing. His stomach curled at the thought.

Tommy was silent for a moment, ears flattening. "Is it bad?"

"What?" Eret did a double take, they'd never heard Tommy sound so concerned before.

"Testing. Is it bad?"

"Well- It- it's only his first time, so it won't be too much. Blood sampling, checking his features, basic stuff like that." Tommy caught the way Eret shifted on the spot.

"Better not be, or else I'll... well, you won't want to know."

"I'm sure. I have to go, but I'll be back in a few hours. Cafeteria, and all that."

Tommy rolled back over, facing the inner wall again. He closed his eyes, hoping for a nap.

By the time Eret came back, sleep had not found him.

A/N: Hope you guys had a happy holidays! Short chapter this time, but I wanted to get it done. Feel free to leave a comment, they're really encouraging to see :]