Chapter 17

Fundy was considering going back Detainment. Eret could screw off on their own if this is what he'd have to deal with.

All in all, his newest assignment was the most annoying, maniacal, half-witted half-dog he had ever met.

He laughed, no, wheezed at everything Fundy said, from dull conversation to threats of violence. Three extra days of solitary must've made him loopy.

Another thing, he didn't seem like the type to maim someone, but the guy who still hadn't gotten out of the hospital said otherwise. Fundy kept an arm's length away at all times, but all the guy would do was laugh and shoot him that grin. It was unsettling, really.

The shattered remains of the dresser that usually sat in each hybrid's room did nothing to ease Fundy's worries.

Fundy had been instructed not to take him to the cafeteria for a while, for fear of him attacking the other hybrids. He didn't take this well. He'd yelled and screamed about how it was 'bullshit', and Fundy guessed that it was this temper that landed the last guy in medical care.

When the day came that he was allowed to take him to the cafeteria, Fundy's assignment was about to explode with pent up energy.

"Yo, 734-PD." Fundy peeked into the room, and only upon locating the hybrid did he fully step into the doorway.

"Not my name. What d'you want anyway? I'm busy." The hybrid looked to be sitting around doing nothing, but sure, he was 'busy'.

"Well, 734-PD, you're going to the cafeteria today! Yaaaay! Now you can stop threatening me with violence every time I come here! Please?"

734-PD opened his mouth to say something, before he shot up, eyes sparkling, and dappled tail wagging.

"Wait- waitwaitwait- really? You're serious?" He was standing now, and Fundy was doing his best to hold back a smile. It was endearing.

"Yes, now come on. No acting out, best behaviour, understood?" 734-PD nodded fiercely, taking a few steps towards the door, before halting.

"My mask." The hybrid's round canine ears flattened, his eyes widening.

"What?"

"My mask, where is it? Some asshole took it when I got put in solitary, where is it-" His breaths were speeding up, and Fundy was getting nervous. He had to take this guy to the cafeteria, and he would rather not get fired, despite his assignment's... quirks.

"I didn't hear anything about a mask... Is it really that important? I've gotta take you, man. I'm not getting fired, so let's go...?" Fundy took one step out the door, while 734-PD was getting more frantic.

"Yes, it's important! I- I'm not going out there without it. They can't see me-"

"I've seen your face this whole time. What's the difference?"

"There is a difference! You guys don't act different, whether you can see me or not- Those guys- I can't."

Fundy frowned. He had to persuade the guy, one way or another.

"Listen, my job may be on the line, I'm kinda new so I don't know the tolerance policy- Anyways, how about this. You go to the cafeteria today, and I'll ask around about that mask of yours, try to figure out where it ended up. Deal?"

734-PD looked sceptical. He ran a hand through his hair and laid back, groaning.

"Fiiiine. You better find it, though. Or else I'll make sure you get it worse than the last guy." The threat was made without the hybrid's signature grin, and Fundy definitely didn't want to find out if he was serious.

"Okay, cool, awesome! Let's go?" 734-PD stepped out of the room, and Fundy gave him a wide berth, shutting the door.

The walk to the cafeteria was tense, but Fundy couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction upon seeing the annoying hybrid meekly covering his face once they stepped inside.

He watched 734-PD go, the hybrid sitting at a table with two others that Fundy presumed to be his friends. Meanwhile, Fundy sought out the other guards, looking to find a lead.

Eret was a no-go. Their hybrid had gone for testing, meaning they got to hang out in the break room all day. He could go to Henry, but the guy was even more of a nuisance than Eret had described. Paula seemed cool, though.

"Paula!"

"You're the new guy, hm? Feel bad for 'ya, I really do. What'dya need?" She gave him a warm smile, and Fundy instantly felt at ease.

"Yeah, he's... well, he's annoying, that's for sure. Apparently he wears a mask? Let's just say that he really wants it back, and I was wondering if you knew where it is?" Fundy scratched the back of his neck while Paula wracked her brain.

"A mask, eh? 734-PD does wear one, big white one with a smiley face on it, looks like a kid's drawin'. 'Prolly got confiscated when he went to solitary. All the confiscated stuff's in a closet by the break room, 'ya might find it there. I'd help 'ya look if I weren't so bad at findin' stuff."

"That's really helpful actually, thanks." Fundy turned to walk away, but a shout from Paula stopped him.

"Newbie!"

"Mm?"

"Tip for 'ya, don't be scared to tase 'im. You're from Detainment, so 'ya never see 'em past the initial capture. Don't feel guilty, ever, or else it'll all catch up with 'ya, y'hear?" She slapped him on the back with a grin, sending him stumbling.

"Yeah... thanks, Paula. I mean it." Fundy smiled weakly, walking away. This job seemed way harder than he thought it'd be.

But, he just had to take it one step at a time. First, he had to endure a conversation with 734-PD while taking him back to his cell, and then dig through a closet to find the hybrid's comfort item.

It'd be easy.

Hopefully.

A/N: Hello my beloveds! Back again with another chapter, I was really excited about writing this one! We're slowly but surely getting into the thick of things now :D

Tell me what you think about the book so far, and what you're looking forward to! Also, you know I love it when you drop your theories in the comments ;)