Chapter 18

Dream shuffled through the cafeteria crowd, attempting to at least get his bearings. However, righting yourself while your dominant hand was constantly hovering over your face was a difficult task.

He silently hoped that his new pushover of a guard would be able to get his mask back soon, or else he'd have to do some arts and crafts with the remnants of his dresser. It would be a shitty replacement, but nothing he hadn't done before.

Dream continued to wade through the crowd, cursing himself for picking a table so close to the middle. Couldn't they have settled for one of the smaller ones on the outskirts? At least then he wouldn't have to get thrown around like a ragdoll just to sit with his friends.

He shoved through the crowds with a little more force than necessary as he cursed every inconvenience he'd every faced. Fuck crowds, fuck middle tables, fuck this facility, fuck his manager at the 7-Eleven who wouldn't let employees have free slushies and was a massive snitch-

"DREAM!" He was flung from his thoughts by a loud voice shouting his name, and he turned to see a black-haired man with a pair of pointed Doberman's ears sticking out of his already messy hair. He was beckoned over, and he took a seat next to his friend.

Sapnap patted the seat next to him, and Drean gratefully took the spot.

"Dream! It's been way too long, how many days did they keep you in there dude? Also, your mask? If those assholes took it-"

"It's fine, I'm out now, right? I'm getting my mask sorted out too, so it's all cool. Also, where's George?"

"He's weak and short, so he's probably taking longer with the crowds." Sapnap jabbed frequently at George, but Dream knew that the two were friends deep down. Sapnap had gotten in too many fights on George's behalf for that not to be the case.

"I heard that, by the way. Hey Dream." The aforementioned cat hybrid batted at Sapnap with his tail, taking a seat across from Dream. George had dark cat ears nestled in his brown hair, and a tail that faded from white to black curled around him.

"George, hi! Miss me?"

"Mm..."

"You did."

"Maybe."

"DREAM!" Sapnap slammed a fist on the table, and both Dream and George startled.

"We need to talk." Dream felt a bead of sweat run down his face, as he raised his hands in surrender.

"Listen, I-"

"When I, jokingly, dared you to, and I quote, 'assert your dominance' over your last guard, nobody, not one person, expected you to, y'know, actually beat the shit out of him! What the fuck, Dream!" Sapnap huffed and crossed his arms, waiting for an answer.

"I can explain-"

"Can you?" George piped up, smiling smugly.

"I can! I was tired of his bullshit, so-"

"You sent him to the hospital? No, it's not even that! You got sent to solitary! Who knows what could've happened-"

"I was fine."

"You might not have been! We were worried, especially when you came back three days late." Sapnap had that disappointed tone to his voice, and Dream wilted.

"But..."

"No buts!" George snickered and Sapnap shot him a glare, "Just promise you won't pull this shit again? Save your beatdowns for when someone really deserves it."

"Okay, okay, geez. You can't say it wasn't funny though."

"It was kind of funny." Sapnap conceded, and Dream cheered.

"So, what's the situation with your new guard?" George's tail was waving behind him, and Dream was sure he'd be able to see the curious glint in his eyes were it not for the large sunglasses covering them.

"The new guy? Such a little bitch, he's so scared of me, it's insane!"

"And you say you don't have an ego." Sapnap quipped.

"Shut up, you should see him! I bet he's heard all kinds of horror stories about yours truly. He said he's gonna get my mask back too. I went through hell to get it, so he better."

"I dunno, I like seeing your cute little ears. You're what, a hyena?" Sapnap mockingly cooed.

"What? No!" Dream's face flushed and he shoved Sapnap, "I'm a painted dog, I've told you this!"

"African wild dog." George drawled.

"Fine, whatever!"

"We didn't sit through you preaching the supremacy of 'African wild dog' over 'painted dog' for you to insist you're the latter. I won't stand for it."

"It doesn't matter! As long as you don't call me a hyena."

"Might as well, since you laugh like one." Sapnap poked Dream's cheek, and Dream batted at his hand.

"I don't!"

"You do."

"You totally do."

"This is why I wear the mask!" Dream covered his face with his hands, leaning back.

"Nah, its 'cause you wanna be all macho n' stuff." Sapnap elbowed Dream.

"Nope, it's to scare losers like you." Drean elbowed Sapnap back, twice as hard, and George giggled at their antics.

"Well I think both your ears are stupid looking."

"George, you are literally a catboy." Sapnap deadpanned.

"HEY!"

Dream watched as the two fell into their usual bickering and laughed. Despite the circumstances, those two
always made anywhere feel like home.

A/N: APRIL FOOL'S!! A new chapter. Woo. A bit of funny to prepare you, since we're going back into the sadge.

You'll see some awesome art at the top of the chapter by -MACK6D0G, so show them some love!! It's amazing artwork!!

Dream is not a hyena. Sorry.

Also sorry for the lack of updates, I've been working on other stuff that's given me a lot of brainrot recently and I've been neglecting this fic as a result, haha.

Anyways, tell me in the comments, what did you guys think of the chapter? Any thoughts on what's gonna happen next? I love reading your comments, whatever they are!