Chapter 20

Tommy was in shock, certainly. First, he'd been freaking the fuck out (on his own, but he could handle it, he wasn't some pussy!), and then Eret had done their big reveal, so to speak.

He was left staring, mouth agape as Eret twiddled their thumbs.

Eret. A hybrid.

Only a fool wouldn't have seen it coming.

Which was why Tommy's full name was now 'Tommy Careful Danger Kraken Fool Innit'. A mouthful, yes, but a name had to be a mouthful if it was going to capture everything that made him, well, him.

He locked eyes with Eret once more, and finally, he spoke.

"What the fuck." Eret flinched, and Tommy had half a mind to backpedal, but he was in too deep now.

"No, literally, what the fuck?" He pressed.

"Sorry for lying, man, it's just-"

"It's not even that!" Tommy stood, tail thrashing. "It's- why the fuck are you here? In this place?"

"Tommy..." Eret sat down, patting the space next to them. Tommy did not sit down.

"I'm lucky. I look human. All I have are these eyes, a couple scales here and there, and my venom. All I have to do is wear sunglasses, wear long sleeves and not eat in front of people and I'm good. Others don't get that luxury. I'm in it to make sure life is easier for even one hybrid who was less fortunate than me." They explained.

"What about you? Your safety? What if you get caught? Hell, how have you not been caught already, you're- you're being stupid!"

"What are you talking about."

"If- no, when you get caught, you'll get put in here like the rest of us, or worse! It's not worth it."

"Why do you care so much, I thought-"

"I thought you were just another human with a saviour complex! But you're one of us, and I'm not letting you do this. Not anymore."

"I have to, Tommy. Not after- not after everything that's happened here."

"Well, I'm against it." Tommy crossed his arms, ears sticking up.

"Well, that doesn't matter, since you can't stop me."

Tommy sighed. Kicked his feet. Paced a bit. Shook out his hands, flicked his tail, hummed a few bars of a Bruce Springsteen song, Brilliant Disguise, to be precise. Quite fitting, considering the situation. He thought, and thought, and thought, until- lightbulb!

"Let's break out!" He said.

Eret was silent, for a moment, before they spoke. "Bit of a tonal shift there, dude."

"Well, if you're on our side, which, of course you are, then you can help break us out! It'll be epic, us against the world. You in?"

"Well... first of all, who's 'us'?"

"Me and Tubbo, of course!"

"Well, second, I don't need to get out, I can just quit, honestly."

"Yeah, but you won't."

"True."

"Plus, it'll be a chance to stick it to the man, if you will. Have you heard that song? It's from the School of Rock musical."

"I'm not sure..."

"You did not go on a big spiel about how you don't want to be a 'bad guy', or 'make things worse', only to deny me my one chance of freedom. You're not."

"..."

"So, what do you say?"

"You son of a bitch."

"Yes? Also, my mother is not a bitch, how dare you-"

"I'm in, I'm in." Eret stood, ruffling Tommy's hair on the way.

And, as Eret left, for once, a smile painted its way onto Tommy's face.

-

A/N: Hello. Am back. Bet you didn't see that coming. Heist movie intensifies? Angst? No, only campy heist movie.

Also go read Supernal Ephialtes by EleutheroPhobos and give them clout. Lots of clout lots of clout.

Are you excited? Also the snake Eret is based off of is the Fer De Lance. I have now decided to tell you what animal everyone is in order to reduce confusion *coughcoughHYENADREAMcoughcough*.