Chapter 12

Eret was quiet.

Not even in the way they normally were, the way where they'd let Tommy guide the conversation, giving short answers and asking a question here and there to keep the conversation flowing.

No, this was different.

The moment they'd opened that door, they'd been acting strange.

First of all, they'd been completely silent when Tommy asked if it was time to go to the cafeteria, when they usually gave an answer, even if it was in the form of something as small as a nod, or a hum.

Secondly, they'd taken a different route than usual. Tommy was only allowed outside to go to the cafeteria or to the bathroom, and they'd gone in the direction of neither.

On the surface, these facts didn't amount to much, just that something was up with Eret, and wherever they were taking him was somewhere he hadn't been before.

Deep down, Tommy knew where he was headed. And he would be lying if he said he wasn't scared.

At first, he had tried to strike up a conversation, get Eret to say anything, but his attempts had ultimately been futile. They refused to respond.

They'd been walking for a while now, and the seemingly endless amounts of twists and turns were taking their toll. Just how big was this place?

They were walking down a hallway filled with doors, but they were slightly different to normal cell doors. There was a hatch on the front of each door that looked like it could be opened, probably only from the outside.

At the end of the hallway stood a man with bright orange hair. Familiar bright orange hair.

Tommy's memories of that moment were fuzzy on the best of days, but that hideous shade of orange wasn't leaving his memory anytime soon.

Rage began to build up inside of him, and was doing his best to not lose control and attack the man that had shot him in an alleyway. He did promise a 'show', but he'd rather deliver it in a controlled environment where he was not at risk of great injury or perhaps death upon acting out.

Instead, he settled for the low growl that managed to escape his throat.

When they spotted the man at the end of the hallway, Eret brightened. You'd think that reading someone who constantly wore sunglasses would be hard, but when they were your only company, you had to adapt.

They walked closer, and Eret gave a small wave.

"Hey, Fundy. Thought you were gonna text if you got the position?" The man, who was actually pacing in front of one of the doors, snapped to attention, grinning.

"Eret! I was gonna text, but then I got a bunch of orders like, immediately. Apparently my assignment's a real bad one."

"told you that." The cloud around Eret seemed to be lifting, which made Tommy kind of... glad? He didn't know why he cared about Eret, of all people, but he felt better without all of the tension surrounding them.

"Did you? Ah, I've just been thinking about how to get him out of solitary without literally dying. He's been in here for three days too long y'know. Might have a grudge." The man sounded despondent, but Tommy didn't feel much sympathy for him. Serves him right for hunting down hybrids.

"What, they didn't run you through protocol?"

"Nah, just gave me a bunch of gear and told me to risk my life taking this guy back to his room. Complete bullshit, if you ask me."

"Figures. Listen, I know I complain about Henry a lot, but he's pretty good with this sort of stuff." Tommy doubted that. Wasn't Henry the guy who got beat up by... Niki? He thinks that's what Wilbur said her name was.

Eret took something from the man- a phone, maybe? They typed something in, before giving the man a pat on the back.

"Well, I gotta take this guy," Eret pointed to Tommy with their thumb, "To room 31-A. Good luck though!" They ruffled the man's hair playfully, before walking down the corridor once more, leaving Tommy to scurry after.

"Who was that?" Tommy asked, cautiously. There was less tension in the air, but he still wasn't sure if Eret was up for conversation. Was it something he did?

"Oh, that's Fundy. My friend." Good. They seemed to be in a much better mood than before, thanks to that Fundy guy. Tommy still didn't like him, of course, but he had to give credit where credit was due.

"He shot me."

"What?"

"Before I got here. He shot me in an alleyway, and then I woke up here. He's a prick." Tommy couldn't deny the fact the he was bitter. Who wouldn't be?

"Yeah... he used to work in Detainment before he transferred down here. Sorry, on his behalf. Getting shot in an alleyway, even with a dart... not ideal." At least Eret seemed apologetic. He didn't see even a hint of recognition in Fundy's eyes.

To him, Tommy was probably just another hybrid, just 'part of the job'.

"Where are we going? We've been walking forever." Tommy usually tried not to whine, but today he felt like he deserved to.

"We're heading to room 31-A. Sorry, it's kinda far."

"Yeah, I got that. Why are we going there?"

"Um..."

Tommy knew that Eret knew that he knew. So what was so hard about saying it?

"I know where we're going, y'know."

"Then why did you ask?" Eret had stopped walking, and turned to him, confused.

"Why won't you say it?"

"What?"

"Why won't you just say that you're taking me to get tested on like some sort of- of- of animal! We're not animals, you know? We're just as human as you, but everyone treats us like lab rats! Somehow, you can handle imprisoning people just because they're different to you, but not telling me that I'm about to get treated like an object! I thought we were- I thought you were better than that."

Tommy was out of breath by then, ears parked up, on high alert. Eret was staring, and, for once, he couldn't get a read on them.

He stepped up beside them, spitefully flicking his tail against their leg.

"Lead the way, captain."

Eret started walking again, and Tommy followed, silent.

Halfway across the facility, a man with dusty blonde hair and round, dappled ears stares into unfamiliar eyes and grins.

This will be fun.

A/N: I leave you waiting for a week, only to treat you to your favourite kind of chapter! Meaningless interaction and WALKING!!! Fun. Tell me what you thought! Don't worry, things are gonna pick up soon.

:)