Chapter 14

When Tommy woke up, he didn't know where he was. His bones ached with tiredness, and he would do anything to be able to go back to sleep. He peeled his eyes open, and through the cotton filling his brain, he registered that he was somewhere new.

Whereas the testing room had been bigger than his room, this room was a fair bit smaller. On the plus side, the lights were far, far dimmer. It was almost calm.

Tommy laid on his back, mind not exactly racing, more wading through the field of cotton that slowed his thoughts. He had so many questions. For example, he thought testing was done! If they had more to do, couldn't they do it in that other stupid room, with the stupid researchers that insisted on watching him and policing his every action?

Maybe this was his new room. Maybe he'd done something wrong. Heck, if this was meant to be a punishment, it wasn't too good of one. Apart from the lack of a bed, it was an improvement to the room with the too-bright lights.

He exhaled softly, stretching his bones. He was about to lay back down, when his ears caught a pair of footsteps, and by the sound of them, they were coming this way. Tommy braced himself. Although he was the biggest, strongest, only man to ever exist, he didn't want to come face-to-face with any more guards again. Not because he was scared. Definitely not.

Apparently whoever answered prayers had turned a blind eye to Tommy's, for the door slid open, and with a whoosh, he was staring down an unfamiliar guard. Tommy stood, and the guard took his taser from its holster, pointing it directly at him.

"Sit down. Don't move, or you'll be getting far worse than this." Far worse? Maybe this was supposed to be some ineffective punishment after all.

Tommy sighed, and reluctantly complied. Getting tased was no fun, he of all people would know that. After an impulse purchase from his fourth foster parent, Tommy felt a hint of bile rise at the sight of the thing.

Moving his eyes from the taser, he directed his attention to the... box? The guard in the doorway held what looked like a cat carrier in his other hand. He began to set it down, keeping eye contact with Tommy throughout the process. He flicked the latch open, and a small creature shuffled its way out of the carrier.

Huh.

It was just Mary.

Tommy smiled softly, and was left to wonder what kind of punishment this was supposed to be. They gave him dimmer lights that wouldn't give him constant headaches and they brought in Mary? Things were only going up, in his opinion.

By the time he had taken his eyes off of Mary, the guard had left, and taken the carrier with him.

Mary seemed far more relaxed than she had been in the testing room, cautiously sniffing the room. She paced around, Tommy remaining as still as possible as not to alarm her.

He reached a hand out, similar to last time.

"You remember me, Mary? I'm Tommy." Mary turned to look at him, once again confused as to why her natural predator hadn't ripped her to shreds by now. But he would never to that. Not to Mary.

The hare carefully approached, and Tommy finally got a good look at her. Her fur was a soft chestnut, and she had a white diamond shape on her chest. She was a beautiful creature, even if she didn't know it yet.

Mary carefully sniffed Tommy's hand, and Tommy took the opportunity to run a finger across her head. She started for a moment, before melting into the touch. Tommy mentally fist pumped. If he actually did so, he would probably scare Mary, and he didn't want to do that whatsoever.

He spent a few more moments stoking the hare, before she climbed into his lap. Tommy froze for a moment, startled at the brazen display of trust. Mary already trusted him? He was a wolf, a predator, wasn't she afraid?

He would never understand her. An enigma, she was.

He pet her further, leaning back against the wall. She leaned in, closing her eyes.

"You have a strong name, Mary. You know that? I named you after Mary Tudor, first queen to rule England in her own right. You're a strong woman, Mary." The hare in his lap displayed no signs of understanding the meaning behind her name, but that didn't concern Tommy. All that mattered was that she listened.

He rambled to her for what felt like hours, about anything and everything. He held no fear of judgement, no shame. It was almost like his talks with Tubbo, except Mary wasn't much of a conversationalist. She would do though. She was perfect as she was, and Tommy wouldn't trade her for anything.

While Mary was perfect in her own right, he missed Tubbo. So, he told her everything he knew about the bee hybrid. They hadn't talked much about their time before the facility, it was almost an unspoken agreement that they wouldn't pry. Not until either of them were ready.

However, he still had a myriad of facts he knew about Tubbo. For example, his favourite animals were bees, his favourite TV show was South Park, something Tommy had never expected, considering his friend's 'wholesome' exterior.

Tubbo liked nature, and fresh air, he liked to fly even if he couldn't do it for long, he liked mysteries and true crime shows that showed all the bloody bits, and Tommy had promised to watch one episode with him, because no matter how much he insisted he was a Big Man, he hated gore-

He missed Tubbo. It'd only been what, one, maybe two days? And he already missed Tubbo.

He wasn't clingy.

Mary looked to him with knowing eyes, and Tommy averted his gaze. He ran his hand over Mary's back, shutting his eyes. His breathing slowed, and he felt himself drift off peacefully for the first time in a while.

A/N: Wanted to give you this chapter early because I'm really hyped for the next one!! Fun fluff yay!! I know y'all really liked Mary so I decided to bring her back :D

Tell me in the comments, what do you think's gonna happen next? I love hearing all about your theories :]