Chapter 1

When Tommy awoke, it was not to the familiar sight of a grimy alleyway.

This time, he found himself laying on a... bed? Not even a bed, it was more like a cot, judging by the firm texture.

The bed was besides the point. Just where on Earth was he?

The last thing he remembered...

Oh, right.

That.

Shaking his head, Tommy took the room in fully. The walls were a stark white- scratch that, everything was a stark white. It was almost sickening, almost like it was too clean. It was freaky.

Tommy attempted to stand, but his legs decided that they wanted to feel like jelly. Wack. Tommy elected not to let his weak-ass legs decide his future, and stood anyway.

Bad decision.

A wave of nausea immediately overtook the boy, and he wanted to empty his internal organs all over the pristine floor.

He would, honest, if he had eaten anything recently.

Tommy decided to look around the room more. He spotted a dresser in the same sickly shade of white as the rest of the decor. He was getting real tired of that white. Did these people have anyone familiar with interior design on the team?

He dug through the drawers, finding nothing.

What the fuck?

You don't just give a prisoner a dresser and then put nothing in it. It's just plain rude. Rude and disrespectful.

Before Tommy could go back to searching, a voice suddenly blared throughout the small room.

"Subject 263-W, welcome to the SMP Hybrid Research Facility, and your place of residence for the foreseeable future."

Tommy scoffed at that last part. 'Foreseeable future'? Yeah, right.

"We strive to keep the hybrids under our care in the best condition as possible, but that requires cooperation on your part. As long as you obey orders without question, you will enjoy your stay at the SHRF."

Okay, now it sounded like they were trying to pitch a hotel to him.

"Subject 263-W, you will see a jumpsuit in the bottom left corner of  your room. We advise that you change into it. If you do, someone will arrive to collect you shortly."

Now they were trying to give him orders. They could kidnap him, sedate him, and imprison him as much as they wanted, but giving him orders? Now that made his blood boil.

"Fuck you! My name's Tommy, not 26- whatever! I'm not doing shit!"

Tommy kicked the door to the cell for good measure. That'd show them.

"As you are new, you are not familiar with the way things work here, 263-W. Good behaviour is rewarded. Bad behaviour is punished. This is your first offense. You will wait here until you put on the jumpsuit. Then someone will arrive to collect you."

God, they sounded like a parent.

"Fuck off! Nobody orders the Innit around!"

Tommy shook his fist to the sky in a show of defiance, snarling.

No answer.

Tommy kicked the door again.

No answer.

Tommy took a seat on the floor, criss-cross applesauce. He pulled down his hood, freeing his ears, and slipped out his tail, giving it a few experimental wags. The voice did say this place was a 'Hybrid Research Facility', right? So it should be fine.

Tommy laid back onto his back, humming. He could play the waiting game. He was good at waiting.

Tommy was not good at waiting.

He didn't know how long he'd been holding out. There was no clock in the small 'room'. It was more like a cell, if you asked him.

All he could do was stare at the stupid white walls, the stupid empty dresser, and the stupid, stiff, uncomfortable 'bed'.

He preferred the floor, if he were to be honest. And he always was. 'Tommy Trusty', they called him. How long had it been since someone called him that?

He didn't want to think about it.

He could stop thinking about it, if he really wanted to. Could put on the stupid jumpsuit and find out what was really going on here.

He could give up his pride for information. His pride was one of his most important possessions, he found.

Just this once.

He'd get it back in no time.

He crept over to the jumpsuit, looking it over. It looked like a prison uniform, except instead of the striking orange, it was pure white. The number that the stupid voice had called him was written in black print on the back.

263-W

He liked 'Tommy' much better.

He got changed quickly, discarding his hoodie and other clothes in the corner.

He found that the jumpsuit had a suitable slit at the base of his spine, just big enough to fit his tail through.

Neat.

It still sucked though.

His ears flattened as he sighed. At least it was dryer in here than it was the streets. And, if the voice had been telling the truth, he would be kept in the 'best condition'.

In that moment, Tommy made a plan.

Leech off of the benefits of his stay, and then break out when nobody would expect it.

Sure, it was a little bit rough around the edges, but he could work out the finer details at a later date.

After a few more minutes of waiting, the door to his cell slid open

Fancy.

In the doorway stood another figure. Human-looking. They wore a vest similar to the person he'd met before waking up in the cell. Probably affiliated.

He couldn't even glare at them in order to intimidate them, on account of the sunglasses that covered their eyes.

He could at least try.

Tommy put on his best menacing glare, before baring his teeth, letting out a low growl.

They didn't even flinch.

Without missing a beat, they gestured for Tommy to exit the room. Upon stepping out, the door immediately shut behind him. The Guard - that's what he elected to call them - began to walk down the hallway.

"Follow me. No funny business."

Tommy took off into a light jog after them, before slowing down to a walk.

They couldn't even wait for him to catch up?

Asshole.