Chapter 12

"Why are we at a winery?" You eyed the standalone building sitting near a body of water.  It had been no more than a week since Xiao told you to keep quiet about your 'secrets' even though you weren't sure what they were.  

"We'll be getting Diluc's help until Xiao comes back," answered Aether.  

Right.  Xiao's leaving.  You scrunched your nose up in protest but didn't say anything.  The yaksha had left the group for a couple days after your 'contract' was made, and the entire time Childe was practically chained to your side.  How long would he be gone for, if Aether thought it was necessary to get another person on the team?  You didn't want to know the answer.

And Xiao wasn't the only one temporarily leaving, either.  Zhongli, the only other person you could supposedly trust, left once Xiao returned a few days ago.  Something about trouble at the funeral parlor? Something told you that was a lie.

"Paimon thinks Diluc and Childe on a team would be a disaster," the mascot let out a nervous laugh.  "Are you sure it's okay for them to meet each other?"

"Yeah, about that--Childe, can you keep your Fatui side in check?"

"Whatever do you mean, Traveler?  I'm sure this Diluc fellow wouldn't be that upset with me.  Besides, I don't mind wearing my status on my sleeve."

"Yeah, we know! That's the problem."  Paimon crossed her arms and shook her head.

"You'll need to hide it from Diluc."  Aether stopped walking and faced the Harbinger.  "Can you do that?"

Childe was about to object the idea when you half-muttered under your breath.  "I thought hiding things was your specialty?"

His mouth remained open for an extra second, and his eyes narrowed significantly at your comment.  He took it as a challenge...or perhaps a type of threat?

Even Xiao was surprised at your sudden confrontation.

"Well?" Aether prompted without having heard you.

"Of course.  Anything for a comrade," Childe cleared his throat and flashed his signature smile.

.............................................

"How long will you be gone?"

You somehow managed to catch Xiao alone while everyone was inside the winery.  You had thought the two of you had gotten closer since you remembered your past, but it was like he was purposely pushing you away.  His replies had only gotten shorter since then.  

"I don't know.  A few days if I'm lucky."

"Do you have to leave?" Your shoulders dropped in clear disappointment.  "What's all the rush even about, anyway? Are you ever going to explain why I have to keep qui--"

"Lower your voice," the yaksha warned.  He folded his arms across his chest and glanced around the deserted patio.  "I told you, we cannot discuss this.  Someone could be listening--"

"But WHO?  The least you could do is tell me who!"  You stood taller and squared off with the yaksha.  He just sighed and turned his back to you.

"I'm leaving."

"Zhongli isn't here either," you continued, spewing the words out more desperately this time in an effort to keep him from leaving.  "You said I couldn't trust anyone except you and him.  What do you expect me to do if both of you are gone? And how do you expect me do deal with Childe and his stupid jokes?  You're scaring me by keeping me in the dark like this."

Xiao hesitated, but walked towards you anyway.  He stopped once he was close enough to whisper.  "There is a possibility we are both in danger.  That is all I can tell you; revealing more would risk losing our advantage to the enemy."

"But...who is the enemy?" 

Xiao's gaze didn't reveal an answer, much to your dismay.  "Do you remember what I told you back then?"

"Huh?"

"If you're in danger."

"Oh."  'Say my name.  Adeptus Xiao. I will be here when you call.' "Yes."

"Good.  I'll return soon."  He disappeared before your eyes, leaving behind a gentle breeze that caressed your hair much like he did not too long ago.

.............................................

You returned to the group in a somber mood inside the winery.  There, you were greeted by a man that couldn't have been more than six years older than you.  He didn't appear to be in great spirits either.

"Good.  While we're at it, why don't we see about getting the Knights of Favonius to join us?"

"We'll just need Bennett--" Aether defended.

"Relax, I was only joking.  I need to check in on Angel's Share anyways.  Shall we get going?"  The man's eyes landed on you.  "So you're the only one without a vision?"

"U-uh, unfortunately," you laughed nervously.

"I've been training her since she joined the team.  Her sword skills aren't half bad."  Child sauntered over to you and placed a hand on your shoulder.  Now that you were without Xiao's protection, you tensed under his grip, feeling that it was somehow more threatening. But this was just his usual display of respect for his teammate.

"As long as we don't run into Fatui, you should be just fine," Diluc assured you once he noticed your uneasiness.

"I don't think we'll have that problem," Childe laughed, much to the annoyance of Paimon.  She rolled her eyes and disappeared with a poof.

..............................................

You've never seen someone have so much bad luck in your entire life.  From the time of recruiting Bennett on the team to the time the group left Mondstat, he had already found a way to get injured over five times.  Your mouth hung agape at this last time, in which you all had walked past some pigeons that suddenly decided to peck at Bennett's head.

"Are you okay?" You swatted the pigeons away before they could peck an eye out.

"Ha, yeah," Bennett shyly rubbed the back of his head.  "It's like I said earlier, all I have is bad luck!"  Despite this, it didn't stop the boy from smiling ear to ear.  "This is nothing, really."

"O-okay.  If you say so."  You walked along side him, while the rest of the team took the front.  

"So you're from Liyue?" Bennett kicked a stone and nearly stumbled.  He played it off so that it appeared he meant to walk backwards next to you.

"Yup.  I live in Quince Village."

"Nice! I've been there a couple times for commissions.  The rice fields are really pretty when the sun sets.  The squirrels aren't that friendly, though."

"Does every animal attack you?" 

"Not all of them, but I would say a decent chunk of the population has it out for me," he chuckled.  "When I'm at the guild, my dads usually scare them off."

"Your dads?"

"Oh! Well, I was found as a baby and brought back to Mondstat.  The older men in the guild raised me, so I call them my dads."

"I see."  You thought back to your Granny, who was no doubt worrying over the fact that she hadn't heard from you the past couple months.  "An old lady, my Granny, took me in when I was a toddler."

"Were you abandoned too?"  Bennett asked almost too eagerly, with a hope to finally connect with someone.

"No.  I was--well, I can't really talk about it.  I shouldn't have said anything."

"O-oh, sorry about prying.  I tend to drive people away once they know me, so I was afraid--"

"Don't worry, I'll tell you at some point.  I just can't talk about it right now," you gave him a small smile for reassurance.  He was practically beaming as he smiled back at you.

That's right, Childe recalled the day he first met you.  That old lady was her caretaker.  She may know something...