Chapter 2

"I know you," Granny grinned wide once she managed to get Xiao alone.  "You're the one who brought her here."

"So you remember."  He stood in front of the dining room windows and absently watched as the wretched Harbinger taught you how to hold a sword.  His gaze never left you.

"She was on death's door when you gave her to us.  How did you manage to close such a wound?"

"Humans cannot understand adepti constructs.  Why must I waste my breathe and attempt to explain to you?"

"I see you haven't changed, either.  Haha!"  Granny's face fell after a good chuckle.  "Still, I am worried about her.  She lacks fighting experience and a vision."

"She'll be more than safe with us."  An adeptus, the former God of Geo, a Fatui Harbinger, and an alienist all in one group--yes, she would be safe regardless of the situation.

"Is that a promise to bring her back in one piece?"

"Are you ordering an adeptus around?"

"Hm!" Granny held in a giggle.  She enjoyed messing with him.  "Perhaps.  I just want my daughter to return alive and well, as any family would."

The two of you aren't even blood-related, Xiao thought with an audible scoff.  "So be it."

"Ngh!"  Your muffled cry from outside the house caught their attention.  You had landed on your butt--for the fifth time--with a wooden staff at your neck.  

"That was slightly better than last time.  Let's go again." Childe retracted his staff and replaced it with a gloved hand.  You took it and he pulled you to your feet.

Xiao watched every one of your movements; the way you pursed your lips in concentration, the nervous laugh that escaped them when Childe came at you, and the way you rolled your eyes at his arrogance.  He glanced at Granny, who now stood beside him.  Seems she's been living a good life since that day.  I'm glad.