Chapter 6

You awoke from another nightmare only to be greeted by a shadow peeking out from the tree limbs above you.  I must have slept all day again.  I still don't feel any better...  You stared half-conscious at the shadow.  What is that?  An owl? No, that's way too big to be an owl.

The crackling of the fire to your right caught your attention, and you shifted your eyes to your teammates.  Everyone else was fast asleep.  Xiao's sleeping mat was empty.

"Xiao?" You whispered and sat up.  Where did he go? Is he keeping watch tonight?  You looked up into the tree again and discovered the shadowy figure had moved higher into the canopy.  What's he doing in the tree above me?

You decided to find out, despite your aching leg and heavy body.  You were a bit too stubborn for your own good.  Carefully and quietly, you used the trunk to pull yourself to your feet.  A sharp pain shot through your leg almost immediately, and you were about to cry out when a hand covered your mouth.

"You should be resting," Xiao looked at you sharply.  

You removed his hand from your lips.  "Why were you in the tree above me?"

"Why were you calling my name as you slept?"

"I did what?"  You had no clue what he was talking about.  Xiao didn't bother to respond and instead led you back to your mat. 

He pressed the back of his hand to your sweaty forehead.  "Don't move."  He walked over to the bucket that held cool water and dunked a new cloth into it before ringing it out.  He returned and placed it against your skin.  

"Sorry."

Xiao glanced at you questioningly.

"If I had disturbed you and called your name in my sleep."

"Why do humans insist on apologizing for trivial matters? I assure you I don't care if you say my name while you sleep."

"R-right."

"Let me see your leg."  He carefully unbandaged and examined your wound.  It almost looked as if his lips curled upward for a brief moment.  "It's healing.  Your fever is just a result of your body taking on a massive injury."  He gently rewrapped your leg, and took a seat beside you.

Xiao made the conscious effort of sitting close, but not so close that the two of you were touching.  Both of you avoided looking at one another as the firelight danced among the trees.  It was a comfortable silence that enveloped you two, much like a warm hug.  Like an unspoken form of bonding between comrades.  Xiao found comfort in the idea as he listened for potential threats.

"Do you ever get nightmares, Xiao?"  You struggled to keep your heavy eyelids open after awhile.  

Xiao couldn't bring himself to answer until he felt you fall asleep with your head against his shoulder.  The gesture startled him enough that he almost moved away.  He blinked in confusion as he peered down at your still form, until his shoulders finally relaxed.  He listened to the crackling of the fire and your steady breathing for a long time.

"I do," he whispered so low that it could've been mistaken for the wind.