Chapter 9

"What the heck?!" Paimon yelled almost gave away the team's position on the top of the cliff as she stared into the valley.  "Uh, Paimon thinks something fishy is going on down there!"

"Hm?" Aether followed her eyes until he too, stood there stunned.  

"What's wrong?" You followed suit and soon everyone was looking over the cliff.  

"Finally.  I've been itching for a fight," Childe smirked in satisfaction as he watched over seven abyss mages gather around a bonfire they created.  They appeared to be chanting or performing a ritual, but you were all too-high up to hear them.

"You're always itching for a fight," you rolled your eyes.

"It's one of life's greatest pleasures!  Maybe if you were stronger, you'd see it that way too--Ow!"  He rubbed the spot along his ribcage that you had elbowed.

"This is peculiar," Zhongli appeared lost in thought as he stared into space.  "It is common for abyss mages to appear alone, in two's or three's, but in a group of ten?"

Xiao looked equally troubled and conjured his lance.  "I'll take care of them."

"No," the former god objected.  "Even at this distance, we'd still be in danger of becoming collateral damage if you went all out."

"But he took out the lawachurl on his own while we were in the immediate area," you pointed out.

"That is because one enemy requires little power.  Abyss mages of this number and caliber would require more energy."  Xiao didn't object to this, so he must have agreed with his master.  "I will go along with the traveler and Childe.  You two should remain here unless it is absolutely necessary to intervene."

"Why can't I go with you?"

"You haven't fought an abyss mage before."  Aether finally peeled his eyes away from the cliff.  "It would be better if we found an isolated one for you.  These are too powerful."

"Ever heard of 'hit the ground running?'  I can do this."  Your eyes shone with determination.

Childe admired your resolve for a moment.  "I say we let her," he vouched.  "All she's fought so far are hilichurls.  This would be a great way to gain experience."

"It may not be the wisest choice."  Zhongli glanced back at the cliff before surveying you.  "You lack a vision, which means you are unable to break their shields.  Physical damage will get you nowhere unless the shield is broken--"

"I can break them for her," Childe countered.

"--Then there is the issue of healing.  Vision holders are able to withstand more damage than the average human.  Theoretically speaking, you may only be able to withstand a single hit."

"I've already taken a direct hit from a lawachurl and survived," you gestured toward your leg.  "How much worse could it actually get?"

You could burn to death, Xiao nearly answered.

"I knew I liked you for a reason," Childe pulled you close with an arm around your shoulders.  "I don't see the harm in bringing her.  She's more stubborn than I am when it comes to pushing limits.  If anything, she's too stubborn to die that quickly and pathetically."

Zhongli thought for a moment before looking to Aether.  "I have shared my thoughts on the matter.  Traveler, since you are the head of the group..."

Aether nodded and stepped forward.  "I counted eight pyro and two dendro mages.  Childe and Zhongli will break the shields.  I'll work on getting rid of the dendro ones first.  She can fight the ones that get isolated from the group.  Xiao, can you cover her?"