Chapter 26

"What did you mean when you said they didn't escape?"  You had noticed Xiao's eyes never left the bird when he spoke to you, and finally realized the stupid piece of scrap metal was more than a knocking device.  When it had hopped to the other end of the hall you decided to take a shot and ask Xiao again.

"I meant exactly what I said," his eyes finally met yours.

"W-What? But--"  Movement near his legs attracted your attention and you saw that he was drawing letters on the tile's surface with the pad of his finger.  You watched him intently. 

"All is not as it seems."

"Hm?"  Your brain hurt just trying to decipher it's meaning.  He gave you a final warning look before facing straight ahead again.

...............................................................

"Food."  A Fatui agent slid your tray beneath the door.  He glanced at the yaksha, but walked away without saying anything else.

You dragged the tray over so that it sat in front of the two of you.  "Would you like to eat something?"

"You know I can't stomach human food."  He pushed the tray over to you.  It was then that he noticed just how hollow your cheeks were, and the way your collarbones stuck out from your chest.  "Eat."

"I'll pass."  You watched his eyes narrow at you.

"Eat."  This time he shifted so he was facing you head-on.  "There's no point in starving yourself here."

"They can't achieve their agenda if I'm dead."

"They already have your blood samples.  They won't care if you die as long as they have me. So eat."

"But you could just break out of here if I die!"  You had only meant the words as a half-joke, but your vision was obscured by tears.  "I-if I die on my own accord, you won't have to worry about hurting me.  That's why you haven't done it, right?  That's why you haven't broken the seal, because you don't want another person's blood on your hands?"

Xiao observed you carefully before releasing a sigh.  His eyes cast downward and landed on his gloves, overturning his hands as he envisioned them coated in the blood of his comrades and enemies alike.  "Do you truly no longer care for your own life?"

"I'd rather die at my own hands than let them kill me."

"What about returning to Qingce Village?  Or seeing the Lantern Rite?"  He raised his gaze to you again.  "You were looking forward to that as far as I remember."

"It's like Childe said," you mumbled.  "There's no future even if we both escape."

"Childe?" His eyes narrowed and his voice was tinged with anger.  "Don't believe the things he's told you.  He's--"

"Why? He's right about this," you choked out.  "Even if we get out, they'll always chase after us...we can't hide forever, and..."  I'll always be chasing after the love of an adeptus.  

"There's no need to fear such things." Xiao eyed you carefully before scooting closer to you so that your knees were touching his.  He gingerly placed a hand at the nape of your neck and pulled you close.  His thumb gently rubbed against your skin.

"Heh," a small chuckle left your lips and caught the adeptus off guard.  

"What?"

"It's just...You did this before."  A warm smile crossed your lips, and Xiao frowned slightly at the myriad expressions you kept making.  He couldn't keep up with your feelings; you switched between them so fast.