Chapter 16

"You've soaked through your clothes," Zhongli stated the obvious and rose from his seat.  "Allow me to brew you a cup of tea."

"Thanks," you sat down.  Aether quickly brought you a towel and blanket, while Xiao gave him a subtle side eye.  They sat on either side of you.

"So when Childe said he had business in the harbor, he really meant he was leaving for Quince Village," Paimon practically growled with anger.  "I knew we couldn't trust him!"

"He was told not to fight us," Aether theorized.  "Think about it.  If he had it his way, he would have fought to get to you and Xiao.  Surely he must have taken orders from Signora or something?"

"What does it matter?"  You couldn't help but shiver in your sopping clothes.  "It's my fault he got to Granny in the first place.  I had talked about her with Bennett.  He must have heard about her then."

"That's where you're wrong.  We came to you at your Granny's home all those months ago.  He must have remembered she would be a good source of information.  So really, it's our fault," he hung his head low.

"No one here is at fault," Zhongli returned and placed a cup of hot tea in your freezing hands.  He returned to his seat across from you.

"Wait, did you know about this too, Aether?"  You were referring to Childe's scheming.

"No.  Zhongli informed us once we left you alone."

"I see."  You stared at the cup in your hands.  "So...What are we going to do now?"

"We will pretend we are unaware of his plans," Zhongli answered.  "We cannot underestimate Childe's capabilities."

"We can beat him again!" Paimon shouted.  "Aether can kick his butt anytime!"

"I'm afraid it would not be wise to do so at the moment.  Defeating Childe now may invite more Harbingers to finish the job for him."

"I'm with Paimon."  You took a quick sip of tea before placing the cup on the table.  "If he's willing to mess with innocents' lives, then we need to take him down."

"Woah, wait.  You're misunderstanding his character," Aether looked between you and his floating companion.  "He doesn't tend to do that."

"Are you defending him?!  Did you not see what his minions did today?  Did you not see the gravestone?"

"He would only involve innocents if he has to or is desperate to get what he wants--"

"Oh, so he's desperate but not that bad of a person?"  

"Let him speak," Xiao ordered.

"Tch."  You slouched in your chair and crossed your arms, glaring at your tea in the process.

Aether glanced at Zhongli before continuing.  "Childe is a family person.  He respects those who value family and those who desire to grow stronger.  He wouldn't kill a bystander, especially if they're weaker than him. He didn't kill your grandmother either."

"Oh, but he's totally fine with taking possessions to get what he wants.  Did I get that right?"  You rolled your eyes and stood up.  "I'm going to bed."

"I'm just saying he follows a moral code."

"Tsk, yeah.  Some moral code he has, if it involves betraying those he calls comrades.  Don't bother waking me up tomorrow."

"Wait!"  

"Let her go, Traveler," Zhongli watched you leave and slam the door.  "It is just a form of grief.  She will return with a level head tomorrow."