Chapter 39

Zhongli was lost in deep thought as you and Xiao faced the Tsaritsa, while Paimon and Aether were arguing on whether they should jump in to help or not.  Despite Paimon's protests, it seemed to Aether that Xiao could very well handle the god on his own.  He wasn't exactly a team player to begin with...

"ZHONGLI!"  Paimon's high-pitched screech finally prodded a hummed response from the former archon.  "We need to jump in!"

"It would be wise for the two of you to leave the palace at once," he advised instead of indulging in the mascot's wishes.  It wouldn't be long now; he could feel the power from the battle reaching its peak.  "Xiao cannot unleash his full power with the three of you here. Your bodies would not be able to withstand it."

"We've already fought with him plenty of times and we're fine!  Don't go underestimating us now!"

"As much as I agree with you, I'm siding with Zhongli.  We'll only get in the way."

"W-Wha-!"  The frustrated emergency food placed her hands on her hips as she gawked at Aether for a few seconds.  Then she turned to Zhongli.  "Then what about her?  Shouldn't we get her out of there too?"

"Do not fret, dear friends,"  the metallic clank of his polearm rang against the floor, "I will retrieve her.  We'll meet again outside.  Go now."  Aether nodded and ran in the direction from which the group had entered--followed by a pouting Paimon.  Zhongli returned his eyes to the throne room as the tiles in the hallway began to freeze over.

"Now."  You and Xiao nodded in confirmation before pushing off the ground in opposing directions.  The air parted for you like the wind had granted a favor, though you had yet to realize you were the one manipulating it.  Metal and gale met ice in a shockwave that sent the Tsaritsa's opponents flying backwards.  

Xiao landed more gracefully than you did and was already at the Tsaritsa's neck by the time you sat up.  He swung his lance down at her, rage filling his eyes.  The karmic debt illuminated his body in black fog, but the Tsaritsa remained unfazed.

She caught the blade in the palm of her hand like it was nothing more than a wooden staff.  The force of the impact sent icy winds ricocheting into the walls.  The support beams and columns groaned unhappily from the jolt, and parts of the ceiling crashed to the floor around the three of you.

"I've killed your kind with ease in the past," she cooed up to him.

"And I've slaughtered hundreds of gods stronger than you."  

"Then you've underestimated my strength."  Her free hand swung towards his chest, with a dagger of ice forming from her palm.

"And you've underestimated mine!"  The chunks of the stone ceiling came tumbling at the god from both sides at a tremendous speed that should've been impossible given their weight.  The hand that was about to pierce Xiao gave up on the idea and went on the defensive to stop the boulders in their wake.  Ice pillared up just in time.  Xiao flipped back with his lance still in hand.  There you stood, on the other side of Tsaritsa with both palms facing her as you controlled the gales.  

How is she manipulating anemo?  Did Barbatos-  Xiao squinted only to find your beltloop devoid of any vision.  And since when was she ever this powerful-

A deranged, fed-up cackle chilled the throne room further, and the Tsaritsa now set her sights on you.  She was before you in an instant.  A breeze was enough to send her back a few inches--a subtle defensive tactic, but it worked enough so that you had a fraction more of a second to react.  Xiao went for her nape, then her knees.  But the god was prepared for the repeated pattern of attack; she ducked enough to expose you to his blade, and Xiao was forced to shift his momentum with exercised precision to avoid decapitating you instead.