Chapter 4

"Uh, you two aren't going to fight right now, are you?" Paimon's voice reached an octave higher as she looked between the two of you.

"Don't be ridiculous," Childe leaned back in his seat, his smile unwavering. "We'll settle this after dinner. I'm sure she'll feel calmer after trying some of this exquisite chocolate." His eyes narrowed mischievously.

"Tartaglia!" You slammed your hands onto the table with alarming speed and shot up from your seat. You felt eyes of strangers on you, but paid them no mind. The anger you felt was now reaching its boiling point.

Before you had the chance to launch yourself across the table, Xiao stepped in.

"I..see...this is a taboo subject for women," Zhongli watched the interaction with interest.

"Did we say something wrong?" Aether whispered to Paimon.

"I suggest you back off before I use force. Apologize," Xiao held the point of his lance to the Harbinger's neck. He wasn't sure why he felt the need to step in. After all, this was a typical interaction between you and the Harbinger; he got on your nerves easier than most.

Something cold flashed in Childe's eyes, but his smile remained unhindered. "Alright, I'll stop. Sorry."

His insincere apology did nothing but infuriate you—and Xiao—further. You left the table without another word, and climbed your way into the top canopy of the inn's tree. Xiao, extra grumpy after that fiasco, debriefed the innkeeper of his findings the past several weeks. There wasn't much to report, so he was back at the table within minutes. The table was silent, so he set off to find you.

The full moon illuminated the beautiful scenery of Dihua Marsh. Your place in the tree was practically the best tourist spot, but you weren't in the mood to fawn over the landscape.

"Found you," a gravelly voice near your ear almost made you fall off the branch you were sitting on.

"What-!" You look over to find Xiao sitting contently next to you. "How did you get up here so quietly?"

"I am known for my swiftness."

This has to be the most I've ever heard him talk in a single day, you marveled. "Sorry for earlier. I'm sure everyone's feeling awkward now."

"Mm." He nodded slightly. Silence ensued before you broke it.

"Why...are you up here?"

"I'd rather not deal with the likings of that Harbinger. There's only so much of human stupidity I can take." More silence.

"You know...he's wrong about 'shark week.'" A questioning look from the yaksha prompted you to continue. "I just haven't been sleeping well recently. I keep getting these dreams of dying...and dreams that recount my near-death experience as a child."

Xiao was already aware of your nightmares. The past few times he's kept watch over the group, you were often mumbling incoherent things and breaking out in cold sweats. He made sure to sit in the tree that stood closest to you.

"It's strange. I don't remember his face or his voice anymore, but you remind me of him a lot."

He stayed silent. It was better if you didn't know the truth; he'd rather go unthanked and unacknowledged for his deeds. He wasn't working for Zhongli for recognition; he only did his duty to repay the sins he committed in the Archon War.