Chapter 1

Aether was a mysterious teen you met while on your way to Liyue for supplies.  You lived in Quince Village since being adopted into a family there.  You never remembered how you got on the front porch of your now-Granny, but the lack of memory never bothered you.  You were simply on your way to gather Liyue's famous cuisines for Granny when you bumped into Aether and a floating mascot, and thus, made history and became friends in under an hour.

The three of you had only met once, so it was a shock to find him at your doorstep two months later with three new individuals tagging along behind him.  "Hey! It's been awhile.  I was wondering if you'd like to join me in my search for my sister.  I know it's sudden and out of the blue, but if you're looking for an adventure, you could join us if you'd like!"

How could you say no to such a nice person? You nodded a 'yes' without thinking twice.  A soft 'ahem' from behind you made you jump slightly.

"If you're going out on your own, might I address my concerns first?"  Granny patted your shoulder with an uncertain smile.  "Who are these friends of yours? I've never met them."

"O-oh.  Right.  This is Aether.  He's the one I was telling you about awhile back."

"And I'm Paimon!  Aether's honorary guide!" The floating mascot popped into thin air with her cheerful tone.

"You forgot the title, 'Emergency Food,'" Aether nagged at his companion.

"Paimon is NOT to be eaten by the likes of you!"

"Who is everyone else?" You shifted your attention to the group of two very-tall men and one short one.

"Why don't I make some tea for everyone," Granny shuffled back inside.  "Show our guests to the living room, dear."

"This is Zhongli of the Wansheng Funeral Parlor in Liyue," Aether shifted his gaze to the man on his left as they all sat down.  

"It is a pleasure to meet you," the mysterious man nodded in acknowledgement.

"And this is uh,--"

"Childe of the Fatui.  But you may call me Tartaglia, if you'd like."  The man looked to be around your age and had a friendly-enough smile.

"T-the Fatui?"  You flicked your eyes back to Aether.  "Uh, Aether?"

"We can trust him.  To a degree."

"Oh come now, there's no need to be so brash towards me," Tartaglia chided with a masked smile before returning his gaze on you.  "Though if you do have any useful information for Sneznhaya, I would definitely like to hear it."  Something told you to be extra-careful around this guy.

"And...who are you?"  You laughed Tartaglia's comment off, albeit a bit forced, and shifted your gaze to the shortest man of the group.   Something about him struck you as vaguely familiar, but you just figured he had 'that face.'

"Xiao."  

"It's nice to meet you."

"Mm."  He sipped the tea your Granny brought out without meeting your gaze.

Ah, so he wasn't the talkative type.  You shrugged it off and smiled at everyone.  "Well, Aether, I would love to join your team, but I don't really have anything to offer in terms of experience.  I don't really camp out that much, and I've never really fought before.  I think I'd just slow down your search."

"Those were precisely my concerns," Granny piped up and sat at the end of the table.  "You only know Aether and Paimon, and no one else here.  I'm concerned for your safety.  You can barely fight off your brothers and they're several years younger than you."

"G-Granny!" You nearly choked on your tea.  How could she say something so embarrassing? But there were truth to her words-

"Do you have a desire to learn to fight?"

"Huh?"  You met eyes with the Harbinger.

"I can teach you.  You won't be as defenseless or slow us down, that way."

"I can also pass on my knowledge to you," Zhongli nodded.

"Paimon can too!"

"As long as you have the desire, we can teach you."

"Then..." You thought carefully over your next words, and confirmed your decision with one look at Granny.  "I would like to join if you'll have me."

You left a few days later with your new group, completely unaware of the exchange between your Granny and Xiao.